Momo shift handle mod

This is a discussion on Momo shift handle mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK- I put my Momo air race leather shifter on tonight and to my disgust, found that the leather boot ...

Momo shift handle mod

OK- I put my Momo air race leather shifter on tonight and to my disgust, found that the leather boot no longer stays where it should- OK, fine- Tim Taylor time, right?

So I went in the house looking for what would work to make the boot stay in place- and here's what I did:

Take a plastic bottle cap and a kitchen knife, slice the top of the cap in a cross formation- then push the bottle cap over the shift rod (console off), thread side (of the bottle cap) down. Now replace the console and put the shift knob on. You can feel the bottle cap through the leather boot and adjust the height of the boot to the bottom of the shift knob. Voila! No el cheapo looking saggy boot to go with your new shift knob.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have come up with other solutions like tie straps, but maybe this will help someone else out anyway.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I just left the aluminum screw-on trim piece off of the bottom of the shifter, and pressed the boot up over this. It rides a bit higher, and desn't move around at all.

Steve
    Last edited by smorris; 08-19-2002 at 05:49 PM.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

it was a universal one right? not threaded to screw on like stock?
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

I believe all the Momo shift knobs are all universal. I could be wrong but thats what I've seen.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

I did the same as Smorris. I used the screw on piece on top of the plastic piece that goes into the cigarette lighter (MORE MOMO ) i think it looks really good like this.
    autobahn storming scooby

Are the Kartboy and Prodive shift knobs universal as well, or are they threaded?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

jedimaster,

Get a short throw. The shifter boot is then TOO TALL for the shaft and fits flush to the trim ring. I LOVE MY RACE AIR!!!!

-Jim

I test drove one with the short shifter, but I didn't like the feel of it, so I never got one for mine- to each his own.

Kartboy is better than OEM tho. Any way....

I pushed my knob down hard and my boot almost met the trim ring on the stock shifter. I just had to "hold it" up a little the first few times I drove it. The leather is stiff enough to keep it up there.

-Jim