Very loud popping sound!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Very loud popping sound! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a pair of Infinity Kappas 6.5CS in the front powered by an Alpine 4 channel amp (FV-340) that's ...

Very loud popping sound!

I have a pair of Infinity Kappas 6.5CS in the front powered by an Alpine 4 channel amp (FV-340) that's bridged to two channels. It's been working fine for months and all of a sudden, I got this very loud popping sound (more like a lot of successive popping sounds) when I was listening to the radio. I quickly turned off the radio ( I have a Pioneer Premier HU) and after it was off, it was still popping for a good second or two.

I noticed if I turned up the volume a bit, the popping would stop BUT, whenever I changed any setting (pressed a button) that required a momentary pause in sound (switching from CD to radio, changing preset EQ shapes, changing high-pass/low-pass filters, you get the picture) it would make a loud popping sound.

I am thinking ground, but I checked all the connections and everything is tightly bolted down. I grounded the amp to the rear deck and made sure I sanded it a bit. Why would it all of a sudden start doing this?

Any suggestions?
    2004 Subaru WRX Sti - Java Black Pearl/Silver wheels.

-Bone stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Check for a voltage leak on the RCA. Are you running any active EQ's, X-overs or processors?? Also, try just pulling a new rca from the radio to the amp. Don't install it, just pull out the HU and connect the rca's to the radio and amp. See if it still has the same problem. If not, you might have pinched, or worn off the shielding on your current RCA.

Also, I take that you have no Hi-lo converters in your car???

More info would be great. I need to know exactly what equipment you have in your car that is connected to your audio system. Don't leave out details, as they might very well be the cause of your current problem.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Check for a voltage leak on the RCA. Are you running any active EQ's, X-overs or processors?? Also, try just pulling a new rca from the radio to the amp. Don't install it, just pull out the HU and connect the rca's to the radio and amp. See if it still has the same problem. If not, you might have pinched, or worn off the shielding on your current RCA.

Also, I take that you have no Hi-lo converters in your car???

More info would be great. I need to know exactly what equipment you have in your car that is connected to your audio system. Don't leave out details, as they might very well be the cause of your current problem.

Thank you EJ20fan for your response. I will check the rcas for voltage leaks tonight although I might have to go buy a pair with some y connectors. It's so annoying that this popping sound all of a sudden appeared out of no where. It was fine when I first installed and was good for a few months.

So my setup is this... I have an Alpine FV-340 4 channel amp bridged into 2 for my front Infinity Kappas 6.5CS components (has crossovers). So basically I have 2 pairs of RCAs coming from the amp and going to each channel via Y-connector to the back of the headunit.

I'm not running any active EQs ( I can change the EQs on my headunit: Pioneer Premier MP-750) or any processors. Just a plain vanilla setup.

Also, I used the higher-end Knuconcepts wiring. I did check the ground and it seems to be ok. I sanded the contact point some more and bolted it down even tighter.

Assuming it's not an RCA issue, what do you think it might be?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Bone stock

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    When exactly does it pop?? Please be specific. But it's not looking pretty.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

When exactly does it pop?? Please be specific. But it's not looking pretty.
    It pops whenever I change a setting that (I'm guessing) has some sort of voltage drop, for example whenever I change inputs from CD to radio or if I change the eq setting. Basically, it pops whenever there is a momentary pause in music that is user initiated (cd to radio, vice versa or chaning EQ settings on the headunit).

It is SO DRIVING ME INSANE! I noticed that if I lowered the gain on the amp, the pop is less pronounced. I don't know if it's clipping, but I don't think it is, because I used a digital multimeter to set the gains and I was very conservative with the gain in the first place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Bone stock

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by volkl23
    It pops whenever I change a setting that (I'm guessing) has some sort of voltage drop, for example whenever I change inputs from CD to radio or if I change the eq setting. Basically, it pops whenever there is a momentary pause in music that is user initiated (cd to radio, vice versa or chaning EQ settings on the headunit).

It is SO DRIVING ME INSANE! I noticed that if I lowered the gain on the amp, the pop is less pronounced. I don't know if it's clipping, but I don't think it is, because I used a digital multimeter to set the gains and I was very conservative with the gain in the first place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    To start, the gain on the amp should be set at its minimum. Proceed to turn the radio completely up, and then adjust gain levels. It is at full volume that your headunit will put out its maximum voltage through the RCA. Once, tuned, lower volume to normal levels, and try again. At full volume, there should be no distortion, just loud and clear music. If not, then re-adjust settings on the amp accordingly, High pass filters, bass boost, or eq levels on the HU. Have you tried running a different RCA yet?? You've got to start eliminating possibilities. Otherwise, this will take painfully long, and most likely make you resent your audio system. Try using just any rca, and let me know what happens.

To start, the gain on the amp should be set at its minimum. Proceed to turn the radio completely up, and then adjust gain levels. It is at full volume that your headunit will put out its maximum voltage through the RCA. Once, tuned, lower volume to normal levels, and try again. At full volume, there should be no distortion, just loud and clear music. If not, then re-adjust settings on the amp accordingly, High pass filters, bass boost, or eq levels on the HU. Have you tried running a different RCA yet?? You've got to start eliminating possibilities. Otherwise, this will take painfully long, and most likely make you resent your audio system. Try using just any rca, and let me know what happens.
    I actually adjusted the gain using a digital multimeter which is more accurate than doing it by ear. I think the gain is fine. I have used another pair of RCAs and the popping sound is still there. I've tried everything. I thought it might be the HU, but the popping is gone if I connect the speakers to the HU. The only thing I can think of (but highly doubt it since both speakers exhibit the pop) are the speaker wires running from the amp to the harness.

That leaves me with the damn AMP. I sure hope it's not it as it's a fairly new amp and it SEEMS to be working fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Ai, I'm going to bed :

-Bone stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.