digital boost gauge
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on digital boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I finally got around to taking photos of my install. its a cyberdyne boost gauge. reads from -23psi to ...

digital boost gauge

Well, I finally got around to taking photos of my install.
    its a cyberdyne boost gauge. reads from -23psi to +23psi. figured i wouldn't be going over 20psi. anyway, i didn't want to install a stock looking gauge in the stock location. also, i'm into the knight rider esque red led. i know, i know, i'm old school. when i say old school, i mean old.
    anyway, i figured the gauge would be easy to take apart and mount in an inconspicuous location. plenty of room next to the clock, so dremeled out enough room for the display to show through, and covered it with a nice piece of dark tinted plexi. its almost impossible to see from outside the car when its off. i also wired in a simple radio shack switch to turn it off when i dont need to see the red lights moving. anyway, the cyberydyne gauge is ok, it reponds quickly and seems accurate. it matches the readings from my accessport. my biggest complaint is that negative pressures is displayed in solid, and positive pressure is indicated by it blinking.
    some install notes:, i ended up having to ditch the seconds button from the clock. also had to make an incision into the clock to get the display centered. the circuit board was a little too wide. not that big of a deal, since you never see that part of the clock, and i wont ever set the seconds anyway.
    the red led from the gauge is brighter than the clock. i may special order the green gauge to get a better match. or i may switch and use the speedshop gauges since i plan on adding a digital pyrometer on the passenger side of the clock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That looks great man...Where did you get that digital gauge from?
    04 WRX Java Black

Mods:
    Cobb Accessport (running stage 2 91 oct), GReddy EVO Catback, Helix Up/Down pipe, Samco IC hoses, Eibach springs, Rota SDRs wheels, Worx BOV, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy bushings and Omori Boost and EGT gauges.

cyberdyne boost gauge

the cyberdyne boost gauge is available at quite a few places.

http://www.ttstuff.com/gauges_cyberdyne.php

but i think the cheapest place is jegs.com

i'm pretty sure i voided the warranty on the gauge too

didnt cyberdyne also create the terminator?

very nice job man! i really dig the stealth installs.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Zem
    Nice install. Don't take this the wrong way, but... -23psi, huh? You verified that?
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

How much did that cost you?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

ooops

Nice install. Don't take this the wrong way, but... -23psi, huh? You verified that?
    I ummm meant to say 23psi of vacuum, yeah, that's the ticket.

Zem
    Quote Originally Posted by humara
    I ummm meant to say 23psi of vacuum, yeah, that's the ticket.
    Once you have no molecules left, which you'd hit at -14.7psig at sea level.... well... you can't really go any lower.
    -John Adams

cost

How much did that cost you?
    The gauge was $86.95 from jegs. summit racing also has it for $86.95.

It doesn't come with the "T" fitting you'll need to splice into the BPV line. so get yourself a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8 splitter from somewhere. i cobbled one together from brass fittings at the home depot. $5 or so. maybe less if you can find it autozone or pepboys.

also go to a plastic store and get some thin (1/8" or) dark tinted plastic. you only need a very small piece so you can probably find a good piece from the scraps they'll have there. $1 or free.

that's about all you need for materials...
    now all you need is a dremel tool and some imagination.

optional step: $3 on-off switch from the radio shack. i admit i'm into the whole knight rider red light digital thing, but it can be annoying at times, so i wired in a little on-off switch so i can turn the gauge off when i dont need it. i find that i drive more aggressively with the gauge on.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if I could somehow dremel, shoehorn, and dental-tool install something like that "inside" the stock gauge cluster...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i'm a retard. F-----

Once you have no molecules left, which you'd hit at -14.7psig at sea level.... well... you can't really go any lower.
    the gauge reads vacuum in inHG not psi.
    so it reads 23 inHG or 11.2976 psi vacuum.

in. Hg to psi conversion: 0.4912

and it reads up to 23 psi positive.

anyway, i learned a valuable physics lesson today.
    damn, i'm dumb. you already know that because i sent out a press release.

now for the extra dumb part. i was always wondering why my cyberdyne gauge read about double what my accessport live boost readings are.

i love it when a plan comes together.

with that said, the cyberdyne gauge is dead on accurate!! woo hoo.

whats this?

Once you have no molecules left, which you'd hit at -14.7psig
    what is -14.7psig? what is the g in psig?

Zem
    Quote Originally Posted by humara
    what is -14.7psig? what is the g in psig?
    "gauge"

There's absolute pressure, and there's gauge pressure. Absolute pressure can never, under any circumstances, be less than 0 (any units). You cannot have less than nothing. At sea level, our absolute pressure is 14.7psi.

Gauge pressure is measured from the ambient. This is often more useful than absolute pressure because things usually break based on gauge pressure. Like, if there's a pipe with a gas in it and the pipe will break if the pressure inside is more than 10 psi over the pressure outside... see what I mean?

Up here in colorado our ambient pressure is about 12.2 psi (as opposed to the sea level 14.7). What that means is that if we both fill up our tires to 34psig, then yours will still have more molecules in them (14.7+ 34 versus my 12.2 + 34).

We measure boost as a gauge pressure. Your 15psig of boost is really 14.7+15=29.7psia. Or, on the vacuum side... -5psig (or whatever units you use) is 14.7-5=9.7psia.

So 0psia = -14.7psig at sea level = -12.2psig at 1 mile above sea level. You can't have less than that.

Not a big deal, just for some reason I thought "reads to -23psi" or whatever you said was kinda funny.

You c
    -John Adams

nice, but id still greatly prefer a blitz dtt
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

thanks

So 0psia = -14.7psig at sea level = -12.2psig at 1 mile above sea level. You can't have less than that.

Not a big deal, just for some reason I thought "reads to -23psi" or whatever you said was kinda funny.
    Thanks for the lesson. Now that I know a little something about the subject, I can see my -23 psi was funny. since A. it doesn't exist. and B. the gauge doesn't can't possibly read that high.
    I guess what little knowledge I got from high school physics has diminished greatly over the years. i remember competing to throw an egg from the highest point possible without it breaking and something about some laws of thermodyma-something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.