A 2nd siren on a stock security system?

This is a discussion on A 2nd siren on a stock security system? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the factory security system (keyless + alarm) in my 2000 Subaru. I have laying around a siren that ...

A 2nd siren on a stock security system?

I have the factory security system (keyless + alarm) in my 2000 Subaru. I have laying around a siren that was on my crx a while back. It's physically no larger then a paper clip container that you would find on your office desk. It puts out about 115 decibels and is hidden up under the dash. It is high pitched and louder then hell. So it makes for a great deterrant for anyone thiefs that would try to enter the car (unless they have ear plugs! ).

Anyway, my question is can I hook this secondary siren into my current stock security system? Would it be pulling too much away from the original siren? Any input would be great. Thanks.
    2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
    1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hello? Can anyone help me out with this please?
    2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
    1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500

My car is in the shop for a dead security module, so I was looking at the wiring diagram this weekend. They were trying to tell me that my big honking Fiamm road horns had put too much load on the module and fried it. However, if you look, the regular "road" horns are isolated by a relay and sourced from the battery, so that's obviously not the problem.

The security horn, however, is sourced from the security module. I'd be reluctant to put any more draw on that module than the stock horn, since we don't know the output drive specs from the module.

My guess is that the security horn is sourced separately for security reasons, so you can't just remove the horn relay and silence the alarm.

You might be able to wire in another relay for your big siren, but there again you might fry the security module. A relay coil will typically kick back some current unless you have a bypass diode in there. If you don't understand this kind of stuff, I wouldn't attempt it.

Thanks Dielectric for the info.

I don't think I'll try it.

However, when I bought the car the a$$hole I bought it from had removed the siren (but telling me that there was nothing installed except for the keyless entry). So I purchased the entire security system from an online Subaru dealer and found out during the install that I only needed the siren. So now I have a complete security system minus the siren sitting in my garage. I could try to install that 2nd horn and if it blows the module, atleast i have a back up. But then again, is it worth the hassle? Probably not.

Thanks for the info again.

Nick
    2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
    1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500