Audio Experts Needed

This is a discussion on Audio Experts Needed within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a Kenwood HU MPV5025. It has two(2) preamp outputs (one front, one rear). Can you tell me if ...

Audio Experts Needed

I have a Kenwood HU MPV5025. It has two(2) preamp outputs (one front, one rear). Can you tell me if I've drawn this diagram correctly? If not, can you correct it please and show me a better design.

thank you so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss_design.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That should work fine.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Franz
    That should work fine.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks bueno to me.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

sweet! Thank you.

one more question, since I'll be using the "rear preamp output" will the rear speakers still work?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GotWRX03
    one more question, since I'll be using the "rear preamp output" will the rear speakers still work?
    Yes. The rear preamp output just provides the audio signal for the amp.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Yes. The rear preamp output just provides the audio signal for the amp.
    You can actually turn off the internal amp for the speaker output on that radio, but it'll work fine if you haven't changed that setting.

To make things really confusing, the load on the subs at the terminal connected to the amp cannot be any lower than 4 ohm on most class A/B amps when bridged. Make sure you oberve this, as you'll otherwise end up with amp flambeau.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    ... To make things really confusing, the load on the subs at the terminal connected to the amp cannot be any lower than 4 ohm on most class A/B amps when bridged. Make sure you oberve this, as you'll otherwise end up with amp flambeau.
    isn't it that when you bridge something, you add the ohms?

like if a sub has 4 ohms and you are to bridge 2 of this sub, will it not be 8 ohms?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotWRX03
    ... like if a sub has 4 ohms and you are to bridge 2 of this sub, will it not be 8 ohms?
    True, but at 8 Ohms, you're only getting half the power you would at 4 Ohms. Again, if you are using a 2 channel class A/B amp, the most efficient/powerful setup would be in a 4 Ohm mono, if class D, then you'd want a minimum 2 ohm load. It depends on your amp. If you have a class A/B amp, you should get subs that allow for a final impedance of 4 Ohm. What subs are you using, and what amp??
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

this is the amp that i'll be using. i know it's not much, and this is actually perfect for me. i don't like booming sound - i just want a little "umph" - you know what i mean?

GM-X742

what would you suggest between a set of 8" or 10" subs?

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    ... What subs are you using, and what amp??

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    As I predicted, the amp you chose is a class A/B amp, meaning that it needs to be bridged at a 4 Ohm load in order for it to make some power. I'm a pioneer dealer, haven't played much with their amps though. In case you're curious, they recalled the entire production line last year. They've sure fixed a lot of things, and I'm sure it'll be a great amp.

I personally am a huge audiophile, constantly tweaking my system, searching for audio nirvana, and therefore am a huge fan of any 8" or 10". I've built vehicles that employing two 8" sounded better and louder than some cars with 12". I highly recommend the JL Audio W-0 8". Put them in a sealed enclosure, shared airspace, meaning that the box will be extremely small and light ca. less than 1.5 cubic feet. In my car, I have a single high performance 10" Kove Audio 10" T3 Armageddon woofer, in a vented enclosure. It's louder than most cars with bigger woofers, yet very accurate, with great fidelity. If you plan on going with a 10", buy a higher end woofer (Alpine Type R, Rockford Fosgate P2, MB Quart, or MMATS), then a vented enclosure. This path is more expensive, but will result in some seriously impressive bass, and decent SPL levels. The 8" will be more musical, sound cleaner and better, but will struggle with lower frequencies i.e. anything below 60hz. Another benefit is cost and ease of installation, as the box is literally fool proof, but then again, there are those who somehow always manage to lower our expectations . The question now is only what your checkbook can afford, and how good your local installer is. (BTW, I can ship custom enclosures ). Let me know what happens,

Claudiu Ene
    Sales Manager, "Sound Waves" Van Nuys.

ej20fan -

the JL W0 8" have 8 ohms though. if I series the two, it'll be 16 ohms - or are you talking about some other JLs?