Aftermarket sub/amp to stock cdplayer?

This is a discussion on Aftermarket sub/amp to stock cdplayer? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is it possible to hook up a sub/amp to my stock cdplayer?? I wanna keep the 6disc indash feature....

Aftermarket sub/amp to stock cdplayer?

is it possible to hook up a sub/amp to my stock cdplayer?? I wanna keep the 6disc indash feature.
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Yes, you need to use a Hi-Low converter. They run between $15-$140. The cheap one should be more than sufficient for a sub and amp though.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ok i will look into those, thanks
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

Some amps have speaker-level inputs so you don't have to buy a converter. Read the specifications carefully.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    Some amps have speaker-level inputs so you don't have to buy a converter. Read the specifications carefully.
    That is true, but I don't recommend that route as it leads to "Engine Noise". A hi-low converter has gain level adjustments to tune and balance properly. Your amps input does not. But then again, if you're on a budget, you could scimp on $20 that way.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ok after askin people about these, it seems as if i won't get a good sound quality out of my sub, is this true? some pple are saying that the actual vocals will be coming out of my sub since it won't have a dedicated low freq. line out.
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    It's a sub. You're not building a SQ system, nor is your car well suited for any SQ setup. Realistically, you won't hear a difference unless you swap the radio. You've got to be reasonable with car audio. The benefit of a Hi-lo is that it has controllable gain settings, meaning less noise.