iPOD Mounting?? POLL

View Poll Results: Have you considered an MP3 player + stock stereo combo?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want it sooooooooooooooo bad I can taste it...errr, hear it?

15 68.18%
  • No, that is a horrible, horrible idea...you have 6 CD slots...use 'em.

2 9.09%
  • Eh, I listen to my exhaust all the time anyways...

5 22.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPOD Mounting?? POLL within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would like to know if anybody has considered hard-wiring the audio-out of the iPOD into the stock stereo via ...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

iPOD Mounting?? POLL

I would like to know if anybody has considered hard-wiring the audio-out of the iPOD into the stock stereo via solder or wiretap, as well as figuring out a way to get a power supply from the car in a clean and tucked away manner. Please post any thoughts or ideas and pros or cons as to where and how!!! THANKS

edit: JUST TO further clarify, ideally the iPOD would still be removable...so I guess I essentially want to create a docking port for the iPOD in the car...

btw: i voted for the exhaust, b/c i am too lazy to change cd's all the time...but having an iPOD in there would be quite teh cool...also, the only other info i found on this was in this thread:: Ipod with Stock Stereo?
    Last edited by tacomaboy138; 09-15-2004 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarification
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I use the Dilo fm transmitter/recharger car mount w/ lcd. Cost is $100, but it's waay convenient. Sooo much better than the itrip.

I wouldn't want to hard wire my ipod...the point of it for me is portablility. I'm not in my car all the time to justify it and ipods cost too much to have multiple.

SOunds fine for my purposes...car is too loud to listen to anything other than loud, so any minor hiss or background is not heard.

look up the dilo unit in the ipodlounge.com

the problem is that it's white and bulky. Still looking for a better mounting location.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilver
    I use the Dilo fm transmitter/recharger car mount w/ lcd. Cost is $100, but it's waay convenient. Sooo much better than the itrip.

I wouldn't want to hard wire my ipod...the point of it for me is portablility. I'm not in my car all the time to justify it and ipods cost too much to have multiple.

Hg.
    I guess I should have clarified...

By hardwire, I meant hardwiring some kind of docking port for it so that it can transmit to the car stereo and get power...ideally, the iPOD would still be removable...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

ttt, where are all the audio nuts???!!!
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I'm currently trying to work on a way to hardwire a power source to it. I've tapped into my radio, but i have an aftermarket radio w/AUX outs, so i didnt reall "tap" into it, more liek i plugged into it lol.
    I don't think that there woudl be a way to tap into the stock one, because it doesn't have an auxiliary setting, so it wouldn't know how to access the iPod...
    As for the power, i have a good idea of how to do it, in fact i'm 98% sure that this will work. So my idea is this: buy one of those car chargers from any store that has them for the ipod (the ones that plug into the cig. lighter socket), and cut off the end of it that plugs into the outlet. Peel off some of the coating to the wire, then go into your fuse box and take out the fuse for the cig lighter outlet, and wrap the iPod power wire around one of the fuse posts, and put the fuse back in.
    This is how i'm powering my glowing gauges/pedals.
    I'll let ya'll know how it went once i get enough money to buy the charger.
    Hope this helps!

interesting...is there no way to splice into the tape deck and use that function of the stereo, since it is virtually useless (i've never used a tape in my car)...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Currently, I just use a tape adapter to play my iPod. The stock stereo system doesn't have an extra input to plug into.

Everybody I know of has failed trying to "tap" into the stock system. Aftermarket systems really seem to be the way to go. I really like the idea of dremeling out the in-dash cup holder to fit an iPod dock.

My .02
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

I've heard that the casette adapter gives terrible quality. I think the best, yet most expensive way to go would be to buy an aftermarket deck. This way you can also hook up a sub and speakers . Actually i'm not very familiar with the stock radio because i replaced mine about a month after i got my car...
    aftermarket is better
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

if you want to change out your deck you can get an alpine, they make an adapter cable which controlls the ipod from the head unit. Then you can wire the ipod to the glove box and take it with you when you want. No need to to have a cradle mounted somewhere to advertise to a thief to break into your car. The adapter should be available later this month. This is the setup i plan on doing?

Quote Originally Posted by rgold01
    if you want to change out your deck you can get an alpine, they make an adapter cable which controlls the ipod from the head unit. Then you can wire the ipod to the glove box and take it with you when you want. No need to to have a cradle mounted somewhere to advertise to a thief to break into your car. The adapter should be available later this month. This is the setup i plan on doing?
    What's the point of wiring it to the glove box? Just take your iPod with you whenever you leave your car if you have a mount. Mounts are so much more convenient.
    '03 Aspen white rex

from what i understand it is a small box with a cable which you can wire to any location in the car. ie the glove box. The end of the cable plugs intot he ipod, then you can controll the ipod from the head unit.

ohh. that's genius! i really want that now lol.
    '03 Aspen white rex

Will it charge the iPod also?
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

I believe it will.

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    I've heard that the casette adapter gives terrible quality.
    Actually, I get really good quality sound with my tape adapter. 100x better than the FM transmittors, but hard wiring is still the way to go IMHO.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.