iPOD Mounting?? POLL - Page 2

View Poll Results: Have you considered an MP3 player + stock stereo combo?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want it sooooooooooooooo bad I can taste it...errr, hear it?

15 68.18%
  • No, that is a horrible, horrible idea...you have 6 CD slots...use 'em.

2 9.09%
  • Eh, I listen to my exhaust all the time anyways...

5 22.73%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on iPOD Mounting?? POLL within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr Actually, I get really good quality sound with my tape adapter. 100x better than the FM ...

Quote Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Actually, I get really good quality sound with my tape adapter. 100x better than the FM transmittors, but hard wiring is still the way to go IMHO.
    I use a tape adapter for my MP3 player and it works pretty well. I just turn the volume up on the MP3 player and there is really no distortion except with classical music but I think that is more just the stock stereo not being that great.

I don't have an ipod though. I've got a Phillips mp3 player.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I went with Belkin bits (see http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=201526): the Tunedock holder sits nicely in the top cupholder, it even has a clip on it to hold the wire from the Auto Kit charger. That has an audio out port and then you can plug in the Tunecast FM thingy which just sits in the little tray below lighter socket. I may switch to a cassette adaptor, though, 'cos the Tunecast does go through batteries way too quickly (especially if you forget to turn it off ). Also the Auto Kit has a neat little volume dial so you can match the volume without having to turn the stereo way up (or down)

Info from alpine site

this is the info from the alpine site

ALPINE ANNOUNCES FALL RELEASE OF INTERFACE ADAPTER THAT ENABLES iPOD CONTROL AND PLAYBACK FROM IN-VEHICLE SOUND SYSTEMS
    TORRANCE, Calif, July 7, 2004 -- Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, will ship in late September its highly anticipated interface adapter that enables consumers to control and enjoy their iPod music library from their in-vehicle sound system. The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) enables users to experience superior sound tuning and control of their iPod music using any of Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net in-dash head units. The KCA-420i will be available from Authorized Alpine dealers for $100.

"Consumer interest in our Interface Adapter for iPod has been phenomenal," said Stephen Witt, Alpine's vice president of Brand Marketing. "There is clearly an eager market of users who want a better sounding and easier to use solution for enjoying their iPod music in the car. This is the in-vehicle solution iPod users have been waiting for."

Alpine's Interface Adapter for iPod enables users to access the in-dash receiver's exclusive Bass Engine(TM) technologies to experience better sound quality and control of their digital music files in the car. The solution allows users to control iPod playback using the head unit's front panel buttons or remote; view song information (artist, album and/or song name) on the display; and easily find tracks through the receiver's Quick Search(TM) interface. Alpine's exclusive MediaXpander(TM) technology restores lost detail to compressed digital media, bringing essence and life back to the music as the artist had originally intended.

The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod is a hide-away design and can be installed anywhere in the vehicle - under a seat, in the glove box or behind the dash. A single cable connects the adapter to the Alpine head unit, while a second cable connects the adapter to the iPod through the iPod dock connector. When the vehicle is on, the Interface Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery.

Pricing and Availability
    The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod carries a target retail price of $100 and is compatible with any iPod mini or updated iPod with a dock connector. Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net head units, sold separately, are available through authorized dealers at target retail prices starting at $200. iPod mini and iPod, sold separately, are available in the U.S. through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. iPod mini is available for a suggested retail price of $249 (US). iPod retails for a suggested price of $299 - $499 (US), depending on model.
    To receive the next update on the Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod, consumers may send an e-mail to ipodready@ alpine-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Actually, I get really good quality sound with my tape adapter. 100x better than the FM transmittors, but hard wiring is still the way to go IMHO.
    Yeah, i was comparing the tape adapter to hard wiring. I hard wired my ipod to my aftermarket deck, when i used the tape adapter on the stock deck. the difference is definitly noticable
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

Hardwiring

Yea i've been also trying to figure out how to hardwire the ipod. I can live with sacrificing the tape deck for a hardwired and removable ipod. Another thing I was wondering tho is where the ipod would be mounted so it can still be easily seen and controled.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    in regards to that, it might be worth it to fab up some kind of mounting bracket that would replace the pointless piece right to the left of the cupholder. If it can be made and perhaps painted to match the rest of the silvery console it would probably look pretty clean. If the iPOD has a remote that would be pretty cool too. Cuz then you wouln't have to bother with reaching over and fidling with it while driving.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

i use this to mount my ipod.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=17%2D548

it is available at any radioshack and is originally for cell phones but on the widest setting, an ipod fits perfectly. it even has a hole at the bottom so you can fit a charger. it clips on to the a/c fins and has a little stabilizer bar thingy underneath. i'm kinda bummed that there is no external cd changer controls like you guys say. i was on an sti board and they said that their 6 disc in-dash changer has external cd changer controls also, in which case you can get an rca adapter. are the sti 6 disc in-dash changers different from 02-03 rexs? i'm waiting to pick up my 02 wrx and want to know if i should waste time ripping apart the dash to look behind the radio.

anybody had any experience with the Dell DJ??
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

here's a pic of my ipod holder from radio shack that i posted about earlier.

looks good! i really need to figure out a good way to do this...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12