power wire for gauge
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on power wire for gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i know im not the only one that has had this question, im installing my boost gauge and i need ...

power wire for gauge

i know im not the only one that has had this question, im installing my boost gauge and i need a power wire to hook it up to, ive heard that you can use the clock or the fog light switch but which wire is the power one? (im looking for a color here)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you can just test the wires by unplugging it and using one of those test thingys on each end where the plug would go.
    FP Green STi

svc
    I've used the red wire that goes into the cig. lighter to power everything. So far it's working great, with 9-10 things powered off of it.
    sammAy!

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by VSGTS14
    you can just test the wires by unplugging it and using one of those test thingys on each end where the plug would go.
    thingys....read Multimeter or test light.

No need to cut. You only need to probe the wire, not strip the insulation.The ghetto solution is to wrap the wire around the fuse. Make sure it's on the fused side of it. The one that does not have power when fuse is pulled out/blown.

The best way is to run a wire from the battery, use a relay and then use the headlight fuse/wire as a trigger for the relay to switch and pass 12v+ to the gauge.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

svc
    That seems way too complex for a boost gauge power wire...

Seriously, there's more than enough power to tap out of the cig lighter wire. I've got 5 gauges, a radar detector, turbo timer, IC spray pump, lighted switch for the IC spray, and a plethora of interior/exterior lights ALL powered off of one wire. Never blown a fuse, no dimming of other lights... the only down side is the gauges don't dim with the insturment cluster lights...
    sammAy!

they make adapter things for fuses that allow you to tap wires into them for power, don't they?
    FP Green STi

Originally posted by ej20fan
    thingys....read Multimeter or test light.

No need to cut. You only need to probe the wire, not strip the insulation.The ghetto solution is to wrap the wire around the fuse. Make sure it's on the fused side of it. The one that does not have power when fuse is pulled out/blown.

The best way is to run a wire from the battery, use a relay and then use the headlight fuse/wire as a trigger for the relay to switch and pass 12v+ to the gauge.
    i need a wire that will only supply power when the headlights come on so that it isnt illuminated all of the time (i.e. the day)

ok i went and figured it out. the purple wire on the fog light button is the one i spliced and it works fine. it only comes on when the lights are on but the dimmer function doesnt work for it oh well, it works

Hey man Danbury CT - damn I would have come right up there to help you wire it if I had known (live near brewster ny)- so yeah I tapped mine into my foglights to - only thing is although its great because it only comes on when I turn on the lights, when I throw on my brights, the light on the boost gauge goes off because your brights turn the fog lights off.....hehehe....I actually kinda like it that way as I am not normallly reading boost when my brights are on so I think all my gauges are gonna be connected to that wire so that they all turn off when the brights go on - I just think yours may do the same thing since you tapped it to the fogs like i did - Dan - Dimmer isnt gonna work for it unless its wired to your interior lights - you don't have a dimmer for your exterior lights so its not possible to dim the light on your boost gauge if its working off of your headlights/fogs :-)
    Last edited by Danbob; 09-06-2004 at 09:57 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by justboosted02
    i need a wire that will only supply power when the headlights come on so that it isnt illuminated all of the time (i.e. the day)
    Hence the relay. It is a trigger for the light to turn on in your gauges. This way, you'll never encounter a problem, or fuse flambeau. The gauges will only light up when the headlights are turned on, furthmore, you'll never have to worry about any kind of powersurge/spike frying "5" things instead of one.

The other solution is fine if you've got $$ to spare and like living dangerously. The method I've outlined is the safe/sane/correct way of wiring up any kind of electrical accessory. In the end though, it's your car, and you can do whatever you may deem to be corect. The only reason I'm very picky on this issue is that I've re-wired too many cars that had 'well done' harnesses/ecu's/fuseboxes.

I can vouch for the longtime result of improper installation. I make a good part of my monthly income of backyard mechanics at my shop. No offense to anyone, but improper electrical work puts you as the driver, as well as the vehicle at risk. Just do it right man. I'd hate to see your car somewhere getting electrical work done because you were lazy, or followed poor advice.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

You guys always try to find the hard way of doing things. Above the radio there is a small wiring harness that is just sitting there. It's original function is the power the light on the OEM boost gauge. Hook your wires into that and be done with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.