Anyone know a rattling trunk fix?

This is a discussion on Anyone know a rattling trunk fix? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm running 550 watts through a 12" MTX sub in my trunk, and the trunk rattles like no other. I ...

Anyone know a rattling trunk fix?

I'm running 550 watts through a 12" MTX sub in my trunk, and the trunk rattles like no other. I think it's "loose", like it's not held down tight enough. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ive used expanding foam very conservatively to get rid of rattles in other ars with systems. do all the obvious first though. tighten all the bolts and panels as tehres lots of em back there.

otherwise dynamat works and expanding foam if you go easy with it and then trim/paint it to look flawless.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Never heard of the expanding foam, is it difficult to use? If it isn't, I might consider it when I get around to doing my subs.

As gusto said, any type of sound deadening material such as Dynamat, Rammat, Brownbead, or Second Skin should fix your rattling problem.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

Ramaat wouldnt work for something like the middle rear seatbelt thing on the rear dash that vibrates like hell though would it? Also, pretty much the whole rear panel rattles around so I think I need to insulate it or tighten it down..
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

Originally posted by hamz01
    Ramaat wouldnt work for something like the middle rear seatbelt thing on the rear dash that vibrates like hell though would it? Also, pretty much the whole rear panel rattles around so I think I need to insulate it or tighten it down..
    http://www.raamaudio.com/installing.htm

You should be able to do something like that; Putting it behind the rear seats, and coating the inside of your trunk.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

yeah you could easily pull up the rear deck, put down some sort of matting and reinstall and that would cut out alot of noise
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

go to a craft/hobby shop and get some cotton batting also known as the stuff you can use to stuff pillows with basicly cotton balls not in balls...lol ... take it and pack the rear deck holes with it that will stop that for rattleing as for the trunk if you go to a local car stareo shop they should have somthing called dina-mat. you can take that and put it on the lid of your trunk and it will get rid of the trunk rattle for the most part

++scott++

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The most common culprit is loose change, bolts or metal pieces in the spare tire well. I've had more than a few people come in complaining, wanting to buy sound deadner, only to charge them for cleaning their trunk. The WRX Trunk is actually pretty good when it comes to rattles, as they are few and far between. The license plate holder is another issue as well. Check these two first, then go from there.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.