info on DIY sub enclosure

This is a discussion on info on DIY sub enclosure within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my gf's dad is all about wood working and i asked him to make me a non ported box for ...

info on DIY sub enclosure

my gf's dad is all about wood working and i asked him to make me a non ported box for a 12'' sub. hes never done one and said he would really like to try. im looking for what dimensions he should make the box.

im guessing it should be a square with no holes in it (becuase i want non ported) and to seal it what should he use? (caulking?) any other info is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the little I know about making boxes is that its all about the area inside the box and less about the shape. Keep it simple. The edges do need to be sealed and there are a few different little mods you can make to the box to change the sound (stuffing, etc.). You'd probably be better off reading up on this in another forum like www.sounddomain.com or .net, can't remember which it is.

I believe ported boxes if tuned properly give you more explosiveness to the sound, but closed boxes make the sound more full, something along those lines.
    Never stop learning.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Tell me which woofer, and I'll supply you with the dimensions. I most likely have and am a dealer for whatever you got.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

that is cool. i was lookin at one of these
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13033

and i was thinkin of makin that drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sub.jpg  

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The box in your CAD Diagram () is a ported enclosure. Tuning is important as the length, and diameter of the ports greatly affect how the woofer sounds. Buyin from an online listing though, voids your warranty, meaning that if the seller/vendor doesn't want to repair/fix/exchange, you're screwed. It's normally not a good idea to buy from such places. I know this sounds hypocritical, as I'm a vendor, but the place your buying from is not an authorized PG dealer. It's a decent woofer though, great price. Just make sure you're getting what you paid for, meaning no refurbs, grey market, stolen items. In case of dispute, you won't have anyone helping you, manufacturer etc... . Be careful, and know that the cheapest price doesn't mean you're getting the best deal.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 08-23-2004 at 01:24 PM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Originally posted by ej20fan
    The box in your CAD Diagram () is a ported enclosure. Tuning is important as the length, and diameter of the ports greatly affect how the woofer sounds. Buyin from an online listing though, voids your warranty, meaning that if the seller/vendor doesn't want to repair/fix/exchange, you're screwed. It's normally not a good idea to buy from such places. I know this sounds hypocritical, as I'm a vendor, but the place your buying from is not an authorized PG dealer. It's a decent woofer though, great price. Just make sure you're getting what you paid for, meaning no refurbs, grey market, stolen items. In case of dispute, you won't have anyone helping you, manufacturer etc... . Be careful, and know that the cheapest price doesn't mean you're getting the best deal.
    What kind of warranty does your company offer?
    Never stop learning.

inner dimensions on the box vary from brand to brand.

those are the most important things to work from so find one suitable for what youre thinking space wise.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by complexx
    What kind of warranty does your company offer?
    PG, Alpine, Sony are the only three main lines I don't carry. Kenwood, Pioneer, Focal, etc.... I have a factory direct account with. Used to have an account with PG a few years ago, but dropped the line. I offer a 'true' minimum 1 year on all products, no games when you need items repaired. Certain products, have warranties extending up to 5 years.

In regards to spec's on the woofer, it should come with a spec sheet. Fax it over, and I can fax back a box design for you. I only need to know what amp you're using and what music you listen to.

so gimme the site for your company and i can check it out. yea i was planning on non ported, but decided it should have some port holes. i never thought about the whole warrenty thingy, thanks for the info.

their site says they have 1 year full warrenty.