What Boost Does your Autometer Read?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What Boost Does your Autometer Read? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i went the Cheapo way and got my self a Sport Comp 2 1/16 Boost gauge and a Autometer ...

What Boost Does your Autometer Read?

Well i went the Cheapo way and got my self a Sport Comp 2 1/16
    Boost gauge and a Autometer Cup...

Looks very nice and matches the Stock Guages...rather nice compared to my expectations...

I know its a Cheap POS...

So the Question is What does your Autometer Read at WOT

Mine:

1st : 11 psi
    2nd: 11.5 psi
    3rd: 12-12.5 psi
    4th: 12-12.5 psi
    5th: 13.5 psi

Shouldnt the car have max Boost in 3rd Gear instead of getting max boost all the way into 5th Gear

04 WRB Wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User SweetTurboWhine's Avatar
    going to check for you...
    woooo

Registered User SweetTurboWhine's Avatar
    weeee

ok, mine was...

idle - 19.5 in. hg.
    1st - ~ 11 psi
    2nd - 12 psi
    3rd - 12.5 psi
    4th - 13 psi
    5th - touched 15 for a split second then went down to 13.5 psi

autometer boost gauges arent notorious for their accuracy so you gotta take it with a grain of salt. check where the needle is when the engine is off and see if youre within the 0. closer to the center the better. rumor has it the needle can drift one way or another off center of 0 and throw off its accuracy. mines a little below dead center 0.

im hoping to upgrade to defi gauges next summer.

oh, and btw, anytime you want me to test my max boost im game
    woooo

Thanks for your help...

my needle does rest on the far edge of zero towards the vaccum side...

probably why i dont see full boost in third?

That's a mechanical gauge, right? If so, is there possibly a pinched line? Probably not but its something to investigate.

Back when I had Autometers (first Sport-Comp then Cobalt) I had no problems with accuracy...
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

i never look at mine, but its probably something around 20 psi
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

If you are using the lines and fittings that they supplied then I would replace them ASAP. I had to piece together the fittings from a plumbing store but it was worth it. I used all brass fittings and I'm not 100% sure of the sizes but here's a quick diagram of what I used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boost gauge fittings.jpg  
    Last edited by zoinks; 08-21-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Oh yeah, to answer your first question. I have an Autometer CF boost gauge and it sets just above zero when off and I peak at ~15-15.5 psi then settles at ~13.5-14 psi.

Thanks for the info...i used a sort or of a Y pipe to tap into the BOV line in instead of using the Tee connector..i also used the 1/8 nylon hose that came with the gauge

Ok finally did my 3/16th mod on my 04 WRX...

Now the Boost reads as follows..

1st : 12 psi spikes to 12.5
    2nd: 13 psi spiking to 13.5
    3rd: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
    4th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
    5th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi

Yes the 3/16th mod worked for me without major spikes ...

acutally car does seem to pull a wee bit more...

Fyi It is not a POS, It's a good way to save about 200 dollars instead of blowing your money on some lame Defi (read: Overpriced) gauge.

IMHO
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

I've got autometers sitting at my house for whenever I get a free weekend from college and can run home and install them.

They are all sitting at zero right now

I was planning on running some normal vacuum tubing instead of their nylon junk that it came with. Whats wrong with the fittings?
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by Shard
    Fyi It is not a POS, It's a good way to save about 200 dollars instead of blowing your money on some lame Defi (read: Overpriced) gauge.

IMHO
    Easy there tiger! The Defi gauges cost more not due to them being pretty, but because they are high quality performance items. Just like your WRX. If you were to transplant this train of though to your vehicle, you should've bought a DAEWOO, not a WRX, correct?

Granted, the Defi's do cost an arm and a leg. Yes, you can get a good gauge for much less. I, for example, bought Blitz BL's (no longer in production). They work fine, were half the price of the Defi gauges, but having seen the Defi in real life, makes me a believer that they are worth the money, as they are nicer and better gauges. The question with 'exotic' items, such as these, is not whether they are worth it, but whether their price and your bank account can agree with one another on finding you happiness. If not, buy a less expensive, not cheaper, gauge and move on. No need to spread your hate towards those who can, have, and do, simply because you can't, have not, or won't.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

If I had the money I would definately get some Defi gauges but instead I got my gauge pod for free and the three gauges (boost, tranny temp, EGT) for $260.

I am not a rich person by any means and I figure gauges are gauges to a point. I realize that my autometers will not be as accurate as your Defis (even though they say that they have been accuracy tested or something on the back of the gauge, I'll take a pic), I got 3 gauges for the price of a single Defi and they work for me.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I don't have Defi gauges. But I wish I did. If I could do it over, I would have waited and bought the Defi's. Again, how you use the gauges is more important than how much you paid, or who made them. The hardcore enthusiast will pay anything, the one's who just want to keep an eye on things (me) will look for less expensive alternatives. Your autometer, and my Blitz gauges will surely inform us if a major problem is occuring, which is what they're for. There's nothing wrong with the autometer gauge. For someone to say so is naive, and very stupid. All I wanted to say was that the Defi gauges are very nice, and I, as would you, would pay the money had we seen these things in real life before we bought our current gauges. They're soooo nice!!!!
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.