Mechanical Oil Pressure install

This is a discussion on Mechanical Oil Pressure install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm helping my buddy install a mechanical Autometer oil pressure gauge in his 04 WRX. Yes, yes, I know, I've ...

Unhappy Mechanical Oil Pressure install

I'm helping my buddy install a mechanical Autometer oil pressure gauge in his 04 WRX. Yes, yes, I know, I've done a search and I realize that mechanical oil pressure gauges suck muchly. Unfortunately, it's what he bought, and he can't return it, so we're gonna attempt to install it anyway.

We've been looking over the Oil Pressure Gauge Install on ScoobyMods.com which covers an electronic install, and it has done a good job of helping locate exactly where we're gonna tap in for oil. My question is, what do we use to connect the oil line from the gauge into that hole in the engine block? It doesn't appear as though any of the random hardware fittings included with the gauge will fit into that hole on the engine.

Second concern, will the plastic hose supplied by autometer be okay for a mechanical oil pressure gauge? We already installed an autometer boost gauge which came with the exact same kind of hose, so I can't help be wonder how a hose that was used for a boost gauge can also be suitable for 100 psi of hot oil. Should we ditch the hose that autometer provided or is it good enough? I don't feel like getting blamed if my friend gets a hot shower of oil all overhimself while driving down the road.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When you're risking getting burned I'd say get the best hoses you can.

You can buy an adapter from Subaru that converts the hole in the block to 1/8-BSPT thread. Then you'll have to get something to convert that to whatever you are using, probably 1/8-NPT. You can find those at a plumbing store or online.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Hmmmm, any particular type of hose that we should be looking at? Should we get the heavy-ass metal braided hose like the stuff that runs to and from the turbo, or is that kinda overkill for a gauge?

Well, I don't know what hose off hand, I guess you'll have to check out the pressure ratings, then give yourself a nice big safety margin. I'm sure braided SS would certainly do it.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i