defi control unit placement

This is a discussion on defi control unit placement within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just ordered a defi link system and I wanted to know where people have placed the control unit. Thanks. ...

defi control unit placement

I just ordered a defi link system and I wanted to know where people have placed the control unit.

Thanks.
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I first had mine in the glove compartment (w/ a drilled hole out of sight), but after using it, i figured that I really don't need easy access to it. So, I mounted a piece of the soft velcro to the back of the glove box (relatively flat), and the "hard" velcro to the back of the unit. This way, I can tuck it out of sight when I want to, or I can attach it to the carpet on the passenger footwell if I need to have access to it (tuning a mbc for example)

Thanks rotinom.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I was also thinking about having it velcroed to the bottom of the steering column at the knees. Seems like it will be out of the way and accessible if needed.

How often do you use it?

Umm, hardly ever. Once I got it adjusted, I'ts tucked away. Then again, I only have a boost gauge hooked-up (for right now) so the 40-second logging isn't really all that useful...

I mounted mine in the center armrest. I have the factory armrest extention and the control unit is mounted in the lower compartment with 2 sided tape. It took a long time to route the wires and extend those wires that needed it, but it was worth it for a nice clean and out of sight installation.

-Alex

Alex,

Regarding the length of the lines...do you lose accuracy the longer the lines are?

Brian

The only lines that I had to extend were the 4 wires that supply power, acc, ground, and illum to the control unit. They are tapped to the clock wires. All the other wires were long enough to reach.

I have the gauges mounted in a Autometer a-pillar pod, the wires from the gauges to the control unit were "just" long enough to reach. I have about 1 inch of slack, and getting the plug into the back of the control unit while it was inside the lower part of the armrest was a bit of a pain. I tested the operation before I put it all in the armrest and I really dont plan on taking it out for any reason soon, so I am happy with it.

If you were to put your gauges in the clock location you would have to extend the 4 wires but everything else would fit just fine and you would have plenty of slack.

-Alex

Pitchers please

Originally posted by Xander1281
    The only lines that I had to extend were the 4 wires that supply power, acc, ground, and illum to the control unit. They are tapped to the clock wires. All the other wires were long enough to reach.

I have the gauges mounted in a Autometer a-pillar pod, the wires from the gauges to the control unit were "just" long enough to reach. I have about 1 inch of slack, and getting the plug into the back of the control unit while it was inside the lower part of the armrest was a bit of a pain. I tested the operation before I put it all in the armrest and I really dont plan on taking it out for any reason soon, so I am happy with it.
    -Alex
    Alex, if you have pictures please post

TIA
    Clavo
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

Since I don't own a digital camera, I borrowed one from a co-worker. It's a POS $150 camera so the pictures are not that great but they show what they need to show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0122.jpg  

Next one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0123.jpg  

Last one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0124.jpg  

Muchas Garcias....
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

thanks for the pics...quality work

I have the older style control unit. I don't know if that is the same one you have. One of the corners is slanted.

Anyway, I pulled out the ashtray and shoved it in there. Slightly ghetto but looks decent.

p@
    www.achtuning.com

Could someone assist me in the installation of the control unit.

I do not know where any wires are to make this installation as easy as possible.
    I did this install on my civic prior to my 04 SubeWRX, so please all you guys witht eh defi control unit, assist me with info..
    PICS would be the best bet.

Thanx

Drift on!
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------