Problem with Door locks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Problem with Door locks within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My friend has recently purchased a used 2002 wrx wagon. The car has evidence of pervious modification but was reverted ...

Problem with Door locks

My friend has recently purchased a used 2002 wrx wagon. The car has evidence of pervious modification but was reverted back to stock before it was sold.

He can only use the unlock button once. He must take the key out of the ignition and put it back in to get the function of the unlock button for one time.

We checked all the wiring under the steering column and found no clipped wires. We haven't taken the door panel off yet but I suspect if the button works once it couldn't be wireing problem.

I have heard that if you wired the launch control map selecter wrong on the Turboxs Utec it would cause an electrical bug. Could this be the culprit?

Any advice would be helpful

Edit:
    When the turbo timer counts down and shuts the car off the doors unlock. This is a problem.
    Also when reconnecting the battery the car doors unlock.
    Last edited by Richie03; 09-07-2004 at 07:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did the previous owner have an aftermarket security system for the car?

It might be a bad relay.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

Door locks

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the door lock system on a 2002 WRX Im the one with the mysterious door lock problem and I cant track it down. The unlock button only works to lock the car, and the car unlocks when I take out the key..... WTF

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    Does he have the STOCK secrutiy system? Because if the previous owner had a turbo timer, he would have had to clip a bunch of wires? i dont know if that would cause the problem....
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

locks

The car does not have a security system and I have installed a Dlitz TT

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I think there is a security device, as the ignition unlock you're experiencing is a standard feature on almost all aftermarket alarm systems. It would be hard to find if installed properly, accounting for why you have yet to come across it. Some of my craftier installers have at times installed alarms behind the instrument cluster to prevent a thief from reaching the alarm. Trace your wires, let me know what you find.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

door locks

thanks for the info I will give it a look this weekend when I have some time. The car also has two " Silencer" alarm system stickers on the back windows.
    Last edited by Saga43; 08-20-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Ugh

Time to rip apart the console again.

I also can only lock the doors once. but why would you want to relock them? if something isnt closed it sounds the horn. Is it really a problem? On my accord i use to constantly relock the car, to make sure it was locked and that eventually messed up the actuator.

This problem deals with the Doors only being able to unlock the car. For example when the car is running and you would like to unlock the doors to let a friend out of the car.

Since you said the car was previously modded and reverted back to stock it might of been the previous owner, as you suggested. But before you do/buy anything, if possible get a friend with a 02' WRX or any impreza for that matter, and ask him if you can borrow his power window/door lock switch. It should just pop out of the door. Disconnect the wiring harness/connector. Connect it up to yours and see if it works normally. That should tell you whether your car has an electrical problem, or the connector in the door went bad.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

I was thinking about doing that, but I believe the lock switches arn't the problem. It happens when using either the driver side or passenger side door lock. Which would mean both of them would be having the same problem. This seems highly unlikely but it is worth a shot.

Thanks for your input guys.
    We gotta track this sucker down.
    Last edited by Richie03; 08-24-2004 at 12:27 PM.

Originally posted by Richie03
    I was thinking about doing that, but I believe the lock switches arn't the problem. It happens when using either the driver side or passenger side door lock. Which would mean both of them would be having the same problem. This seems highly unlikely but it is worth a shot.

Thanks for your input guys.
    We gotta track this sucker down.
    Hmm...that really is strange. Only reason I suggested that is because there's a local Scooby shop in my area, that'll tweak the driver and passenger power door lock switches, so they can't be used while the car is off, to help prevent theft. Anyways, good luck.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

hmm that sounds interesting, lets go with it. Do you know how exactly they "tweak" the door locks?

Originally posted by Richie03
    hmm that sounds interesting, lets go with it. Do you know how exactly they "tweak" the door locks?
    Dunno, exactly what they did, or how they did it, but they replaced the whole power window/ power door lock assembly. They just popped it out of the door sill, adjusted it, and put it back in, so it was deffinately done to the actual assembley itself, and not to any of the wiring within the door.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.