New Gauges
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The first thing I want to do is put in some new gauges to monitor my future mods. Here is ...

New Gauges

The first thing I want to do is put in some new gauges to monitor my future mods. Here is my list:

Autometer A-Pillar Triple Pod
    Phantom Boost Gauge
    Phantom A/F
    Phantom EGT

I will also be getting an up pipe very soon.

My questions:

Which O2 sensor do i tap for the A/F gauge or does the gauge come with another sensor that i could tap anywhere?

SPIMotorsports has the PDE Up Pipe available with an additional bung for Autometer O2. Could I use that for the A/F?

Does the stock Up Pipe have an EGT bung? If so can I just tap into the same bung or what?

Basically: What do I need to do to get all of these gauges working properly with or without an aftermarket Up Pipe???

Thank you
    Matt
    Matt Butts

1969 Camaro (Sitting in garage)
    Built 383, T-56 6 speed...

1988 RX-7 (Garaged)
    Bone Stock, Garaged until it gets a makeover for SCCA

2002 WRX (Daily Driver)
    Bone Stock... for now... Dented

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the same gauges and pod as you there.
    I spliced into the rear O2 sensor on the ECU.
    You have to install the EGT probe that comes with the EGT gauge.
    You can drill and tap it directly into the cast manifold before the up pipe (the positioning of this is the source of much debate, but I went with the advice of Turbo XS people and have had no troubles!)
    They look pretty sweet when you are done. The hardest bit is getting all the wiring into the dash from the bottom of the the pillar pod! you have 12v ignition, gnd, interior illumination, AF signal wire, EGT probe wire pair and the boost tube - IT SUCKS!

Really have to be careful of the boost gauge tubing. If I had to do it again I would still do a pillar pod, but go with elec gauges like the Defi's with a single control unit.

EDIT: Required equipment to do this is a straightened coat hanger!!!
    Last edited by aussieinstlouis; 08-07-2002 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for the info... I would switch to an electronic boost gauge, but I like the phantom look and want them all to match. Do you have any pics of yours?

Matt
    Matt Butts

1988 RX-7 (Garaged)

2002 WRX (Daily Driver)

Sure mate,

Here ya go!

Andrew

Hangover - Australian for "Where's the pub?"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00079.jpg  

I was looking at Autometer Gauge 5765. Its the Phantom 0-1600F EGT. Does it come with a probe or do you have to buy one seperately? Thanks again. And how do you go about installing the probe? Just drill into the manifold? I am sure all of this will be much clearer once I have the car and thae gauges. Thanks for the info though.

And I like the way that looks. I can't wait.
    Matt Butts

1988 RX-7 (Garaged)

2002 WRX (Daily Driver)

Should come with it (the EGT probe) - did with mine. The cable that comes with it is a 'tuned' part of the termocouple resistor.

Ok, sorry for all the posts, but I have looking around all day. Wouldn't having EGT and A/F be pointless? As they both can be used to warn of a lean condition. So do I really need both? I could just use the A/F and save the trouble of putting holes in the up pipe. Just an idea...
    Matt Butts

1988 RX-7 (Garaged)

2002 WRX (Daily Driver)

I could never get a straight answer to that The EGT is much closer to the cylinders, the rear O2 sensor is much further back in the exhaust (maybe some latency due to exhaust flow) - so I said 'bugger it' and got both!! besides the triple pod looked good!!

I have the Autometer 2 pod with a boost gauge and EGT. I went with the Ultralite series and it looks/works great. I tapped power for the EGT gauge at the fuseblock that is behind the changeholder at your left knee according to the directions here . I tapped in for the lights at the plug behind the stereo so the lights on the gauges will dim with the gauge lights. Make sure you have a good ground for the wires. For ground, I used one of the bolts that hold the hood release lever in place.

Andrew, the gauges look very nice. Does the A/F meter distract you while your driving? I heard that the lights are constantly moving back and forth.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

you have reminded me of another thing that I would change. They are not distracting, but I would swap it (position wise) with the EGT. You can see the A/F in your peripheral right at the top(colour and movement), but the EGT you need to look at a fraction longer to read. THe top gauge position is a long way from your line of sight in normal driving.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback mate. I'll probably be doing something similar to your gauge setup, that's why I was asking.
    Flapatax Mud Flaps

No worries
    It is good getting them in there - learn along the way- lose some skin, curse a bit and you become a more rounded person!! ha ha ha!!!!

Next week will be my TurboXS Stage 2 to Stage 4 mod day!!

What do you fly Flyboy????

Single engine airplanes mostly, Cessna 152's,172's, Piper Warriors, Arrows. Occasionally light twins.
    Flapatax Mud Flaps

Thought you may have been one of the jet jockeys down at one of the USN or USAF bases in Florida.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.