Amp and Subs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Amp and Subs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anybody know if a mono amp will run two dual voice coil subs? Thanks, John...

Amp and Subs

Does anybody know if a mono amp will run two dual voice coil subs?

Thanks,

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure, as long as it can handle the ohm load and has enough power for both subs...

Check this out for a simple wiring breakdown: http://paudio.tripod.com/subwooferwiring.html
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Ditto. Final Impedance, and power output is key. Not the number of VC's or woofers.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Amp and Subs

It's a Rockford Fosgate 1000 BD mono amp and two 15 inch JL Audio W6 subs.

Do you reckon that amp will handle these subs.

Thanks,

John

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    what impedance are the subs. I've got to tell you though that it doesn't look like that amp will push both. If you need another one, let me know. I'm a Rockford Dealer.

Box design is also important, as you can compensate for lack of power when building the box.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Also, check your woofer again, as JL does not make a 15" W6. I am also unable to recall them ever making one in the past 6 years. You probably have a W3, or a 13" W6V2.

I'm also a JL dealer, and factory authorized for pretty much every brand there is. The only exceptions are Alpine, "DAMN YOU 'AL AND ED's' !!! WHY WON'T YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS", and Sony, but no one wants that anyway.

Amp and Subs

The speakers are dual 6 ohm, 400 watt continuous. They are 15" W6's but I have had them for about 6 years (but they still kick ass!) The box is ported and is at it's optimum size - it's 2.25 cubic feet for each sub (and almost totally fills the boot).

I'm just looking to upgrade my amp and had seen that Rockford and wondered if it would be any good for my subs. Thanks for the offer of getting a new amp for me, but since I'm in Scotland, it could be a bit of a problem getting it!!!

Thanks,

John

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The US Postal service can do wonders. PM me and I'll give you a deal you can't say no to.

I Support ClubWRX
    JL did make a 15w6, but has long been discontinued. Pretty good sub...

With those speakers you're either gonna be presenting a 6ohm (parallel & series wiring) or 1.5 ohm (parallel wiring) load to the amp. I would suggesting find an amp that can put out at least 800 watts whichever way you decide to go. You could wire them parallel and use a JL 1000/1 which is stable to 1.5 ohms and will out out a reliable and clean 1000watts.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.