STi Short Shifter

This is a discussion on STi Short Shifter within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone install an STi short shifter? Frankly, I like the stock one better! The Sti has too much play in ...

STi Short Shifter

Anyone install an STi short shifter? Frankly, I like the stock one better! The Sti has too much play in third and fourth and buzzes like crazy at idle and at speed. What's up? Was I the victim of a bad installation job or are others having these problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone install an STi short shifter

I have the STi short shifter in my car. It came as part of the performance package, so I never had any experiences with the stock shifter. But I have had no problems with mine, no buzzing or anything. So I guess it could be a possible install issue. Well good luck, hope you figure it out.

Pat

bad install??

I have the STI short shifter--also from the performance package. I have no problems with buzzing, although I did have a notchy shift into first for the first 800 miles or so. It has since gone away.

You should have it checked out, because it is definitely not supposed to buzz or anything like that.

Re: bad install??

Originally posted by dookiebob
    although I did have a notchy shift into first for the first 800 miles or so. It has since gone away.
    That's weird, I have the regular stock shifter, and I also had the same problem with the notchy feel in 1st. Mine went away as well. I wonder what that was from.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

That notchy feeling is caused by the syncronizers either speeding up or slowing down the gear you are shifting into. It goes away a little because as the syncros wear (in the beginning), they mate to the surface of the gears, and thus are able to syncronize more easily.

As far as a buzzing sound:

There will be more vibration in the short shifter than in the stock one, because the stock one has rubber insulation around it, whereas the short-shifter does not, because its preferable not to have it for better feel. There shouldnt, however, be any buzzing in any gear. If youre a little more specific about where the buzzing is coming from, maybe I can suggest how to eliminate it....

speed safely,

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

I have an STi shortshifter too....my only complaint is that you almost need to be at a deadstop to shift into first.
    <--GRAVEYARD SHIFT-->

Originally posted by The HomeliteXL
    I have an STi shortshifter too....my only complaint is that you almost need to be at a deadstop to shift into first.
    Yeah, I have the exact same problem... it is a pain in the ass, but it has gotten a little better over 2000 miles.

I can solve that problem very easily. It's called matching-revs. What you want to do is, while in neutral, tap the gas to rev up the engine to the speed it would be in if you were in gear. So, say you are in second and you want to go down to first. If you are going 20 miles per hour you will be around.... maybe 2500 rpm in 2nd, but it first you would be at say... 4000 rpm. So you shift into neutral and tap the gas to rev to 4000 rpm and watch that baby slide right into first gear.

You can either do the entire thing with your foot on the clutch, or get off the clutch once in neutral, then rev, then get back on to shift into 1st. The second technique is called "double-clutching." You will find that with a little practice, you can do this very quickly, and you will want to do it every time you downshift, reguardless of the gear. It will wear your syncros less, as well as the springs on the clutch.

Start slow at first, one move at a time. Itll come naturally before long, and it has additional value, because if you decide to go from 5th to 3rd for a quick busrt of speed, matching revs will start to spool up your turbo before you get into gear...

Once you get that down, try tapping the gas with the heel of your foot while the toe is on the break - then youve got heel and toe, and THEN youre ready to drive an unsyncronized tranny!

(As an aside, youll notice that double-clutch is only useful when downshifting, which shows how rediculous it is that they bring it up in The Fast and The Furious, which is about drag racing!! Sorry, I just had to vent a little... But damn that RX7 was sweet...)

Speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Post Double clutching

hey NJNubieTech. Thanks for that info. I'm gonna out an start working on the double clutching technique. I have an STI shortthrow shifter and do struggle occasionally with downshifting from 2nd to 1st and do take it through neutral. Never had a car with a such stiff shifter but it does feel more natural. I drove a friends golf tdi last week. the gear shifts are like mush . Only then did i truly appreciate my shifter! Anyway lets hope I can master the double clutching.Drive on
    Platinum WRX sedan with Shortthrow shifter otherwise stock.
    "Better to burn out then fade away" Highlander

Ive got the STi short throw, it works fine with me, no problems, although at first I didnt like it cause it wasnt short enough (compared to my last car) but I got used to it..
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Did you happen to have a Honda with a B+M shift kit as your last car?

Speed Safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    Mods |