clock gauge pod Q...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on clock gauge pod Q... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a clock replacment gauge pod that i'm gonna be instaling tomorrow, my question is where should i splice ...

clock gauge pod Q...

i have a clock replacment gauge pod that i'm gonna be instaling tomorrow, my question is where should i splice in for the lighting of my gauges? thanks also where did you ground yours to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

svc
    I've spliced everything that needs power off of the cigarette lighter power wire. I never use the cig. lighter, and I know first hand that it can handle having 11 different things spliced and powered off of it
    I think there's a ground for the stereo you can splice into, or you can bolt down a ground wire to a section of metal frame that sits behind the stereo.

Did you want the lights on the gauges to dim with the other interior lights? I still haven't figured that out, but I like being able to dim the dash lights and have just the gauges blazing bright.
    sammAy!

Cant you just get a vampire clip and tap into the power cable from the clock? I'm installing my gauges in the next week so I'll let you know.
    www.wrxtra.com has a nice writeup on their gauge pack install. Look it over.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

The clock should have a "dimmer" wire, you'll just need to figure out which one it is. There should be 2 or 3 wires going to the clock: +12V always; +12V light; and possibly ground. The +12V always is to keep the clock's memory; the +12V light is to dim the display when you dim the dash (or you turn on the headlights);

Tie the lights for the gauges into that (+12V light) wire. This way, when you dim your dash lights, the gauge lights will dim too. It shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Viggy

there are 4 wires there!
    First---constant 12v wire
    Second---ground wire
    Third--dim wire
    Fourth--ignition wire

Because I just hook up those three gauges last night till 3:00AM!!
    O5 Aspen White STI + AP stage II !!!
    02 Rally Blue WRX sold !!

STi EVO

Okay, I wasn't sure if there would be a 4th (the iginition wire).

MMmm, working on my car till 3AM! That brings back some memories...

Viggy

Yay there is an ignition wire!!

I'm getting ready to install my boost, EGT, and tranny temp gauges and the tranny temp gauges needs an ignition hookup.

I was afraid I'd have to go ripping apart near the key ignition to find a wire to splice.

Are the colors the same on all years? if so what are the colors of each?
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

tan
    look at the back of the clock. The terminals are listed.

Just did the wiring for the Defi (I think BF) gauges a moment ago on my roommate's STI.

Works good enough...too bad, we can't get it to dim when the lights are on...oh well. Good enough for him

No need for the vampire taps....

Cut the wire (16 ga), strip them, tinned them, and hammered them flat. Then stuck the "male" terminals I just made into the clock female connector and taped them up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrViggy View Post
    The clock should have a "dimmer" wire, you'll just need to figure out which one it is. There should be 2 or 3 wires going to the clock: +12V always; +12V light; and possibly ground. The +12V always is to keep the clock's memory; the +12V light is to dim the display when you dim the dash (or you turn on the headlights);

Tie the lights for the gauges into that (+12V light) wire. This way, when you dim your dash lights, the gauge lights will dim too. It shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Viggy

there will be 4 wires including the light.
    clock power
    clock ground
    light power
    light ground

the clock power and ground have to goto the battery, but the light power you can splice to the dimmer switch and the ground you can splice to the clock ground.

thats the best way to do it and it will dim.

The way to hook up a clock gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
    i have a clock replacment gauge pod that i'm gonna be instaling tomorrow, my question is where should i splice in for the lighting of my gauges? thanks also where did you ground yours to?
    you have for wires

C+ = clock power
    C- = clock ground
    L+ = light power
    L- = light ground

C+ goto battery (+)
    C- goto battery (-)
    L- splice to the C-
    L+ splice to the dimmer switch

Make sure you put it on the right side of the dimmer switch. or it will be on all the time.

If you do it this way it will turn on when your lights are on and it will also be able to be dimmed. it works the best and plus you don't have to rip apart all your dash. I've done it in about 7 cars now with yout having to take the dash apart at all!

DUB
    You realize that when the OP said "i have a clock replacment gauge pod that i'm gonna be instaling tomorrow" he meant "tomorrow" as in 8/6/2004 right? I'm sure he has it figured out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    You realize that when the OP said "i have a clock replacment gauge pod that i'm gonna be instaling tomorrow" he meant "tomorrow" as in 8/6/2004 right? I'm sure he has it figured out by now.
    i know he has it done, but it was to help answer peoples question.

example: Someone might search up how to install a clock gauge and it might come up well now they will really know whats going on!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.