need help with wiring
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on need help with wiring within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I installed a simple intercooler sprayer in my car. I wanted a very simple sleeper setup so i ...

Question need help with wiring

Ok, so I installed a simple intercooler sprayer in my car. I wanted a very simple sleeper setup so i bought a cheap and simple rocker switch from walmart. Its the kind with three blades and an LED that is SUPPOSED to turn on when I turn the switch on. The problem is........ ITS NOT! I've tried everything to try to make it work but I can't. I have it wired like this: The positive lead to the pump is connected directly to the positive battery terminal. The negative wire runs from the pump into the cabin, where I have it connected to the switch. It then runs from the switch to a ground point in the cabin. The switch itself has three blades. If I connect the incoming wire to the 2 blade and the outgoing ground to the 1 blade, the light comes on when I flip the switch but the sprayer doesnt turn on. When I connect the incoming to 2 and the ground to 3, the spray comes on but it wont light. If I ground 1 AND 3, it will spray but not light. I have also tried tapping the hot wire from the boost gauge and hooking it to the switch and nothing happened. Can ANYONE help me with this? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Have you tried a generic automotive relay?

See pic below
    It's a good idea to put a fuse in between pin 30 and the + lead of the battery. A 20A fuse should be sufficient.

for the switch....here's a diagram from Radio Shack
    http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc51/51418.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relay.jpg  
    Last edited by tan; 07-31-2004 at 11:33 PM.

Switches with lights are usually designed to switch the HOT lead of the device. Hot wire in, hot wire out, the third lead to ground just so the light will work. Especially if it's LED as they have a + and - side. Did the switch not come with a schematic?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.