02 rear hatch on a 04 = no radio reception
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 rear hatch on a 04 = no radio reception within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; a friend (owns an auto body shop) installed a '02 wrx rear hatch on my '04 wrx hatchback (my car ...

02 rear hatch on a 04 = no radio reception

a friend (owns an auto body shop) installed a '02 wrx rear hatch on my '04 wrx hatchback (my car was rear ended) to save me some money.

now i have no radio reception... i think that the '04 rear window had a radio in the glass, whereas it looks like the '02 does not. is this true?

or could be a simple matter of shop has not connecting the ant. wire correctly?

if its the former, i.e. an issue where the 02 glass has no in-glass antenna, what are my options for getting the radio reception back? install an external antenna? or just have the glass replaced with '04 glass? (the latter will be $500 or so)

thanks all. mergs

p.s. hey moderator, sorry... i don't mean to intentionally crosspost but i think that my original thread was in the wrong forum:

02 rear hatch on a 04 = no radio

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My '05 has the antenna at the top of the rear glass. I belive that the integrated antenna was new for '04.

If your window has the antenna in it there will be what looks like a 2" high network of traces the full width of the glass with a single connection at the very top of the glass.

It will look like a 2" high defroster, but if you look at the traces they don't intersect with the defroster traces which run accross the remainder of the glass.

If you only have two points of connection on the left and right side then it dosen't have the integrated antenna. If there is a third connection at the top of the window then make sure it's hooked up.

I'm pulling all of this from memory, so I might be a little off.

You are correct about the antenna being integrated into the rear glass starting in '04. Previously they were above the driver side door at an angle and I believe you could retract them into the A-pillar. As for a replacement, swapping the glass would probably be the easiest. I'm not sure that you could add an antenna inside the car without it getting crappy reception and adding one outside would probably require some alterations to a body panel.
    Gilligan

Originally posted by jdevee1
    My '05 has the antenna at the top of the rear glass. I belive that the integrated antenna was new for '04.

If your window has the antenna in it there will be what looks like a 2" high network of traces the full width of the glass with a single connection at the very top of the glass.

It will look like a 2" high defroster, but if you look at the traces they don't intersect with the defroster traces which run accross the remainder of the glass.

If you only have two points of connection on the left and right side then it dosen't have the integrated antenna. If there is a third connection at the top of the window then make sure it's hooked up.

I'm pulling all of this from memory, so I might be a little off.
    After re-examining the glass it looks like I have only 2 points of connection.

I do have a wire that comes out of the hatch, at the top left, but it looks like a ground wire, since its machine screwed into the hatch its itself, right above the glass.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.