How to tell if an amplifier is blown ?

This is a discussion on How to tell if an amplifier is blown ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think my Kenwood amplifier is blown... it doesn't power on when plugged in, and I've tried it in two ...

How to tell if an amplifier is blown ?

I think my Kenwood amplifier is blown... it doesn't power on when plugged in, and I've tried it in two different cars. I have successfully hooked up a different (MTX) amp in both cars and it has worked, so I think the Kenwood amp is blown. It's two years old... and I checked the fuses on the amp and they're not blown. Could there be any other reason for the amp not working? How do I tell for sure if it's blown?

Thanks
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most car/audio install places will test it for you. Some charge for this service and some will do it for free, especially if it's a slow day

It may be worth your while to double check the amp's fuse again. Sometimes, the fuse can be bad, even if you can't see it.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    did it used to work and now it doesn't? or is this the first time you've hooked it up and it's not powering up? you said you hooked up an MTX and it worked, so all your wires must be cool. definetely get it checked by a shop, unless you have a voltmeter so you can check it yourself. and double check all the fuses, like games said.
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes