DualMags vs. Kappas

View Poll Results: Which ones should I get?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kenwood DualMags

1 25.00%
  • Infinity Kappas

3 75.00%
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DualMags vs. Kappas within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have found my final two component speakers I am considering: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLCdVHo...&avf=N&search= -OR- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLCdVHo...&avf=N&search= I am not buying them from ...

DualMags vs. Kappas

I have found my final two component speakers I am considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLCdVHo...&avf=N&search=

-OR-

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLCdVHo...&avf=N&search=

I am not buying them from Crutchfield and I can get either set for about $165. I was curious if anybody had any expierence with these speakers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what kind of amp are u goin to power those comps with? Personally, I would go with the Kappas. I've always been partial to Inifinity. Kenwood has a bad rep with me on decks, especially their motorized faces. Ive always heard that they break down. However with speakers, Im not sure. On paper, the Kenwood seems better, but i vote for infinity.
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

I am getting an Audiobahn A6004T which is 75 X 4 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Kenwood amps are really nice but I will be using a Pioneer deck anyway.

I Support ClubWRX
    My last mazda came with the previous gen. Kenwood Excelons and they were outstanding... much better than any Kappas I've heard. Fpr me, Infinity have never lived up to the hype that most people give its products...

Fyi - don't waste your money at crutchfield. Try Ike http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/669
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks guys for the feedback! Yeah I'm not going to waste my $ at Crutchfield ! Keep giving me feedback because now I'm split down the middle.

What about some CDT or Eclipse components?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Have you looked at MB Quart components? There are many different brands, just go to a store and listen to them. It is impossible to buy a speaker just based on the brand. What sounds good to you might sound bad to someone else.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

In my old GSR i tried a lot of different components. I had them powered by a Carver Kmos 100x2. They were door mounted with the tweeters in the stock location. Nice but not ideal.. kickpanels were a better location. Kenwoods were ok. Infinity was pretty good considering it was the Reference Series. MB Quarts were awesome but the tweeters were pretty harsh so had to turn them down. And you wouldn't believe what the best sounding components that everyone who listened to my system said sounded awesome. Cerwin Vegas . Got me too. I didn't tell them but just said it was the MB's that I left in. For the price.... MB's. I think Ikesound.com has them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by GTScoob
    There are many different brands, just go to a store and listen to them. It is impossible to buy a speaker just based on the brand. What sounds good to you might sound bad to someone else.
    Amen! You really need to listen to them before you decide. Ask around here and Nasioc and see if you can find people in the area with different setups. I'm sure they'd be willing to let you take a listen. May be worth your time....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

they dont even need to be other WRX guys. Go to the local car guy hangout (if your town has one) and see what other people are running and listen to a bunch of systems.
    For reference: Hifi Buys/Tweeter carries JL Audio, Eclipse, Alpine, MB Quart, Boston Acoustics brands
    Best Buy has Xplod, Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate.
    HH Gregg (I dont know how spread out this store is) has Infinity, Kenwood, MTX, and some other brands

Hifi Buys normally has a couple different components out on their sound boards but Best Buy doesnt. Look out for smaller auto sound stores. You can find these by talking to regional guys. The bigger stores rarely have top of the line stuff: Hifi Buys is the exception, they can order most anything. I dont know about Best Buy but Hifi Buys will price match online stuff to a degree. Go to the store and listen to the speakers and talk a bunch with the salesman and try to talk him down. Bring printouts from authorized online stores and see what kind of prices he can get you for the speakers. Keep in mind that whatever they go down to will not be as low as online because you will have to pay shipping with online speakers. You will also get a warranty if you buy them in store.

I Support ClubWRX
    They don't have to be WRX's, but it will give you a better idea. Every car has different qualities that affect the sound stage, so one speaker in an MR2 will sound different than in a wrx or a civic. I wouldn't bother trying to gauge speakers by how they sound on a board in a store as that gives you zero perception of the staging.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

true but you can still tell whether the speaker has good sound quality. Staging can be adjusted with fading/balancing/time adjustment (on better head units). I really cant talk about the WRX because I havent heard any nice systems in any yet. I'm getting some old MB Quart comps from a friend later this week and installing my Alpine HU too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.