were do usually tap the gauges?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on were do usually tap the gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; on the fuse box where is the best place to mount the wire for the gauges?...

were do usually tap the gauges?

on the fuse box where is the best place to mount the wire for the gauges?
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: were do usually tap the gauges?

Originally posted by WRXout
    on the fuse box where is the best place to mount the wire for the gauges?
    You can't dim them correctly then...on scoobymods it shows that you're supposed to go in some place by the radio.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    do you wish to trigger with the headlights?? If so, most radio's have an orange/dimmer wire in their harness. tap into that and use a relay to trigger, as the output on that wire will be insufficient to light up your gauges. If no wire is present, then test in the fusebox or behind your gauges, repeat aforementioned process. Please make sure to use a relay as doing so will prevent overloading your electrical system.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

the lights work but im trying to figure out why my egt gauge works but not fully? i know its the grounding but we tested it and its recieving voltage fine...the egt gauge wouldnt work wouldnt go over 3 this guy playd with it but its not fully working it goes up to 5 but when i press the brakes it clunks down and when i put the bliners on it twitches

he changed the egt bung that connects to the exhaust and that didnt work then we tried to switch the gauges and the ones he had wouldnt work its weird...maybe i need a new battery? :/

my oil pressure is electrical and it works just fine doesnt twitch when i press the brakes or the blinkers
    Last edited by WRXout; 07-18-2004 at 04:40 PM.
    Fadi....
    MODS

I used the clock to tap my gauges because the wires are labeled!!
    www.awdpirates.net

I tapped off of the radio ignition wire for the power to the gauges and the radio dimmer wire for the illumination. I used vampire taps and never had a problem.

I don't recommend using the clock harnes as the it will cause your illumination to be backward - remember that the clock dims when you turn on your headlights.

Originally posted by sarcasmo
    I tapped off of the radio ignition wire for the power to the gauges and the radio dimmer wire for the illumination. I used vampire taps and never had a problem.

I don't recommend using the clock harnes as the it will cause your illumination to be backward - remember that the clock dims when you turn on your headlights.
    the light is working fines and my oil press works fine but im not getting a correct reading from me egt
    Fadi....
    MODS

Try to make sure none of the wires from the EGT probe are touching any metal on the car. The probe uses a very small electric current and any little thing could mess with your readings. If it isn't that I would say that either your power or ground connections need to be checked and/or relocated. Unfortunately, there is no cure-all solution for a lot of car electrical problems.
    Last edited by sarcasmo; 07-19-2004 at 01:33 PM.

can aluminum piping cause that?
    Fadi....
    MODS

Aluminum piping should only cause problems if it is making contact with a bare wire. If you were closer I'd take a look at it for you, but I doubt you want to make the trip to Seattle. Is there anyone in your area that is more comfortable pulling apart the dash and following the wires? I'm sure someone would do it for some pizza and/or beer.

Originally posted by sarcasmo

Uh...this is not true. The clock dims when it recieves a certain voltage from the dimmer thingy. This same voltage is what signals to light the gauges up. Mine are wired to the clock, and work perfectly.
    www.awdpirates.net

Perhaps your gauges are wired differently or your clock works differently. The stock clock does dim when you turn on the headlights. This is to prevent the clock from blinding you in a dark car. Most modern car clocks behave this way. I will note, however, that even while the clock is dimmed you can further control the brightness with the dimmer switch.

This is how my clock works:

Car on headlights off: clock is bright and light output can be modified by dimmer switch

Car on headlights on: clock brightness is automatically decreased and light output can still be controlled by the dimmer switch - however - the clock will not get as bright with the lights on as it will with them off.

Try going into a dark garage and ligting up your gauges, but not your lights. Then turn on the headlights and watch the gauges. If they work like mine did (when I had them wired to the clock) they should automatically dim.

Thats how the clock works.

My gauges are not backlit when I don't have my lights on. When I turn my lights on, the clock dims, but my gauges backlights turn on, just like they should. This is how the circuit works: when the headlights are turned on, a 12 volt signal is sent to the clock. Even though a greater voltage is sent, the clock dims (probably due to resistors in some kind of loop). This same 12 volt signal is what powers the gaauges and tells them to turn on the backlight.
    www.awdpirates.net

huh - I totally believe you. I did the same thing with my gauges, but found that they dimmed when I turned on the headlights. Perhaps my crappy Autometers were wired differently.

I promise that this is what happened. I, however, could be the exception.

hehe i dunno it actully climbed to 7 celsious today
    but still acts funny
    Fadi....
    MODS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.