Security System Shock Sensitivity Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Security System Shock Sensitivity Question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, Got my baby just the way i want it: MBC so far, clean blue and 1001 miles on it. ...

Security System Shock Sensitivity Question

Ok, Got my baby just the way i want it: MBC so far, clean blue and 1001 miles on it. Only 1 problem: the factory upgraded security system aint much of a security system. I was testing the "shock" sensor by rocking the car back and forth, some shock sensor. Not even a snoop dog up and down would set it off. So I got a question for you guys. I read somewhere that you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor by turning a screw somewhere. Where is that location and is it easy to get to? It seems no matter how many porsches, bmws, lexus's, and benzs are cruising around my town on the shore ( and there are too many ) people are always checking my ride out like its the next best thing to heist. So if any of you guys know about the alarm let me know, I just want it sensitive so that if i pull on a door handle it goes off, not if a tub thumping honda rolls by.

Thanks and as always enjoy

-C

<- what happened to a bunch of cars today as i raced past em with my MBC installed ( awesome mod )
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I know for a fact it has to be adjustable because I have the exact opposite problem. I park my car in the driveway of my house, no problem. But the second I leave it at work in the parking garage, the thing goes off at least once a day. The parking deck shakes so bad it must set off my alarm whenever one of those tank SUV's goes by.
    The only time I saw the alarm in action was when some kid hit it with a soccer ball when I was about 20 feet away. So I don't know how it is done, but there has to be some way to adjust the sensitivity on those things because I think a flea fart would set mine off.

my $0.02

alright, I just cranked mine up yesterday and don't notice any difference, but I figure it can't hurt. The module that contains the shock sensitivity adjustment nob is located under the plastic piece with the mirror controls in it. Open up the armrest, and at the front, there are two notches that you use a flathead screwdriver (wrapped in a rag to protect the finish) to pop this piece up. Once this is up proceed to pull the bottom section
    off, you might hear some metal popping off, these are clips. Try
    to recover these. **When I did this I ripped a piece of rubber that surrounds the base of e-brake handle. It's really unimportant, but I think that if you pull thetrim piece off slowly, and the e-brake is disengaged, you shouldn't have a problem** After the entire trim piece is off, you will see an alarm unit . Ithink that it is onthe side toward the rear of the car, there is some small white writing that says something like "alam sensitivity adjustment. Peel off the small black patch, below the words, and using a #0 (really small) screwdriver, turn it clockwise to increase sensitivity, and counter clockwise to decrease it. Make sure to put the patch back over it or a piece of electrical tape to keep dust and dirt, etc. from getting into it.

good luck

cool thanks, i dont care about false alarms as my job environment is so safe i might as well put it in valet mode, its @ home that i wanna make sure it goes off if some punk even breathes on it. Not that i fear it being stolen, but im sure my driving has pissed off some folks who'd love to key it up in the wee hours of night, if the sensitiviy is way up, wont it pick up the slightest tap? Maybe I should get an active alarm just to keep folks on their toes. Shame wrx's are so rare around these parts, they might as well be rolls royces to some folks.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Amen to the rarity in New Jersey my friend... though I do kind of like it that way! Driving home everyday on the NJ Parkway you should see all the looks I get at my car (many multiple looks from the same people as I sit in traffic and we go back and forth and back and forth and... you get the point)
    I thought these 3 guys squashed in the back of a Jetta were going to get whiplash last week... everytime I drove by they did a complete inspection of my car to figure out what it was. I guess these are just the types of bozo's we have to watch out for...

you'll want the ebrake UP when you remove the center ebrake portion of the console. pull up slowly, and reach under to remove the mirror bitton plug.

piece of cake.

dR

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. Now I know how to increase it.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

kurlee, how did it go for you, could anyone supply pics maybe? any easier way?
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

yeah, pics would definently be helpful with this....
    autobahn storming scooby

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ebr0t
    kurlee, how did it go for you, could anyone supply pics maybe? any easier way?
    I never go around to adjusting it. I totally forgot about this thread. But if I do ever take apart the center console again, I will take some pictures of it.

I have noticed during the winter, though, that when I keep my car running with the turbo timer, and activate the alarm, while the heater is still on in the car, the car vibrates a bit and the alarm goes off. I think this is due to the heater running off the air conditioning pump off the motor, and it puts load on the engine, and in turn makes the car and engine vibrate a bit, when the heater circulates on and off. So I think my alarm is fine in terms of sensitivity.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

im going to have to test my sensitivity later some time, see if i need to turn it up
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Eric,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info bro!!!!

Shotgun

Speaking of alarms, it'd be nice if the factory alarm would lock the doors when you start the car and unlock them when you shut it off- my Dad's Turbo Beetle locks them at a certain speed and unlocks them when the engine is cut. Maybe poke around at the wiring diagram and check out the speed sensor?...

Originally posted by Eric
    alright, I just cranked mine up yesterday and don't notice any difference, but I figure it can't hurt. The module that contains the shock sensitivity adjustment nob is located under the plastic piece with the mirror controls in it. Open up the armrest, and at the front, there are two notches that you use a flathead screwdriver (wrapped in a rag to protect the finish) to pop this piece up. Once this is up proceed to pull the bottom section
    off, you might hear some metal popping off, these are clips. Try
    to recover these. **When I did this I ripped a piece of rubber that surrounds the base of e-brake handle. It's really unimportant, but I think that if you pull thetrim piece off slowly, and the e-brake is disengaged, you shouldn't have a problem** After the entire trim piece is off, you will see an alarm unit . Ithink that it is onthe side toward the rear of the car, there is some small white writing that says something like "alam sensitivity adjustment. Peel off the small black patch, below the words, and using a #0 (really small) screwdriver, turn it clockwise to increase sensitivity, and counter clockwise to decrease it. Make sure to put the patch back over it or a piece of electrical tape to keep dust and dirt, etc. from getting into it.

good luck
    well here's a pciture of what people should be looking for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02493.jpg  

Originally posted by jedimaster
    Speaking of alarms, it'd be nice if the factory alarm would lock the doors when you start the car and unlock them when you shut it off- my Dad's Turbo Beetle locks them at a certain speed and unlocks them when the engine is cut. Maybe poke around at the wiring diagram and check out the speed sensor?...
    It is evil! I hate it when cars do that. No car should ever automatically lock you in. At least VW unlocks them automatically too. Most domestics lock themselves and then don't unlock when you turn the car off.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.