Subaru WRX Forum banner

Interior Neon Lights

6K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  ScreaminDemon 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed these interior neon lights. The blulbs are hidden so only the neon glow can be seen and the effect is very cool. The lights were each $25. They are originally designed to be plugged into a cigarette lighter, but I wanted a cleaner, more permanent look so i wired directly into the car which also allowed me to hide the wires. This requires some wire cutting and connecting. Also, because each light comes with its own "box" containing a transformer, power switch, and music pulse switch, I wired the front two lights into their own and box and the rear two into their own box as well. I originally had all four running through one box, but it was too much; the tranformer over heated and fried. luckily I had spares... the effect of the lights bouncing with the music is awesome... though I don't use it while I'm driving. The glow is not a distraction while driving, as I thought it would be. The whole project took my buddy and I about two hours. The power is taken from the audio power wires inside the dash, and the wires for the wire are fed through the side panels. All wires are hidden. The bulbs are held up by velcro and tape and are hidden from view. Here are some pics:

#5 · (Edited)
Here's an up-close pic of the boxes that the neons are wired through. I velcroed them to the center consol on the driver's side. It's a very clean look. Each box has two buttons on the top: one for power, one for the music pulse setting, and each has sensitivity adjustability for the music pulsing.

#9 ·
scottigee said:
Please move to "Post Pics of Neighborhood Ricers" thread...
:rolleyes:

You definitly did a clean install with those, good job :thumbup:

Also....the interior of the 05 looks sweet, I like it a lot.

What colors did they have besides green? Would've been cool if you matched it to another color in the car

#12 · (Edited)
Colors do match !

Trailboss said:
:rolleyes:

You definitly did a clean install with those, good job :thumbup:

Also....the interior of the 05 looks sweet, I like it a lot.

What colors did they have besides green? Would've been cool if you matched it to another color in the car
The green neons match the green on the dash and the green that is used on my aftermarket stereo head unit (check 2nd pic) :) Looks sweet.

#13 ·
Came out good, all you can see is the reflection ...

I can't tell from the pic, where'd you put the control boxes???

Edit : Nevermind I just noticed the shifter. I'd probably would've put them out of site. Inside the glove box or something like that

#15 ·
pulses to music? that's sweet :)

#18 ·
Nice, i did the same thing to mine, although it's blue. People say it's rice i say its not rice. Reason being it has been done very clean. See ricers like to skip steps in making it look nice, instead they make it look rice. So a BUMP to you man. Making the wrx just stand out even more!:wiggles:

#25 · (Edited)
ScreaminDemon said:
How do you like that Alpine head unit? I want to get something similar, but I don't want to lose the 6 disc changer.
This is an '03 Alpine CDA9811 head unit. The sound is amazing, and it is incredibly tunable with tons of features. Go here to see full specs. As for losing the 6-disc... this head unit is compatible with a CD changer if you get one. But if you don't, giving up the changer for much better sound quality (plus awesome looks, lol) is WELL worth it. Plus, it plays mp3 CDs so I have a single CD with about 300 songs on it, all sorted into folders (rap, rock, alternative, etc.) so I rarely ever switch discs. When I do it's no big deal... plus it's fun to watch the head flip down in reverse via the motor :) . This head is really good but it's important that you know how to tune it. It has a lot of features and if you don't know (or care) much about sound tuning and manipulation then it might not be worth it to get. I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.