Shift Knob Removal

This is a discussion on Shift Knob Removal within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was trying to remove my shift knob today and it was difficult. I dont want to screw anything up ...

Shift Knob Removal

I was trying to remove my shift knob today and it was difficult. I dont want to screw anything up so i was just wonderin, which way do i turn it and how much force should i have to put on it to get it loose?

Thanks for any answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Twist it to the left, anti-clockwise. The shift boot will, with a bit of resistance, pop off of the knob if you pull down firmly on it.

LEFTY LOOSY RIGHTY TIGHTY =)
    NEW 03 WRX bought NOV 16th 2002
    classified as a LEMON =(
    NEW 04 WRX traded with 03 lemon
    AUGUST 31st 2003

work for HONDA drives a SUBARU =p

i just tried to take my shift boot off of the shift knob. It has a little plastic thing attached to it. I think that my car might be different its an 05 I dont want to **** anything up so if anyone who has an 05 and has switched their shift knob has done it help me out

btw the plastic thing is like an upside down cup that holds the boot and the knob together, it has a little whole in it so that the knob can be screwed on. I dont know by looking at it but i am just guessing what it looks like

that little plastic piece will come right out. Just give it a tug. You won't hurt nothing. I have done it a million times. I have an 02 WRX.

will the plastic thing slip out of the knob or will the boot slip over the plastic thing. and what do i do with it when i install my new knob

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    The plastic is like a ring that fits over a lip on the bottom of the shift knob, to hold the boot up.

It's kinda like a plastic soda bottle cap with a circle cut out of the top of it, and it slides up over that lip to hold it in place.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

does anyone know where I could get that little plastic piece??I have theknob but no plastic..
    "addicted to Subaru"