iPod integration with WRX stock radio/cd player - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on iPod integration with WRX stock radio/cd player within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ipods are teh win. I cant wait until Alpine releases their Ipod connector for their head units. You will be ...

Ipods are teh win.

I cant wait until Alpine releases their Ipod connector for their head units. You will be able to stash your Ipod somewhere in the car and manipulate the folders through the head unit.

Sorry for the hijack but I'm excited.

Scoobymods has a write-up on how to attach a cassette adapter to your car and run the wiring behind the head unit so that it isnt all over the place.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lemme throw my $.02 in, I've been researching this subject (including Dension IceLink and the Alpine solution) for about a year on my Civic, and now that I've got my Rex it matters a lot to me.

For anyone who cares about sound quality, FM/Cassette transmitters are not an option. Ugh.

Dension is a good solution for most, but there are as yet no plans to release a Subaru version. And on the Dension site, it says Subaru/Clarion, even though the head unit in the WRX is (I believe) a Panasonic. You'll have to spring for the Ice-Link ($160-200) plus a nice Kenwood head unit (Kenwood is essentially compatible across the line with Ice-Link) or wait for the Alpine solution ($175 and up for the deck, $100 for the adapter, available September).

The third solution of course is to get a deck with a Preamp In. I bought the Aiwa (contrary to popular opinion, my $109 deck sounds outstanding with a nice set of 3-way speakers) with a front input, but the downsides are: constantly hooking and unhooking the line in cable, finding a way to mount the iPod, and dangling wires messing with the look of your car. The TransPod FM sounded like a good idea, but I'm not willing to dremel any part of my car to make it work.

Still looking for the perfect solution, maybe when Alpine comes out with theirs it will be the "Magic bullet". It's the only solution that truly will let you keep your iPod out of sight. The Dension Ice-Link requires you to manually pick your playlist/artist/album.

What about this

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...highlight=ipod

This still doesnt solve how to cleanly connect the iPod to the radio but at least the iPod woudl be secure and not fly around your cockpit. You could probably find an in line fm transmitter so that you could still use the cig lighter to power your iPod. My transmitter has a peice that can be screwed into the car... you just have to find a spot that I am willing to screw into... I was thinking the headliner but then I still have the damn power cord to contend with. I think I can wedge the FM transmitter between my parkign brake and center console no drilling adn I think it will be secure enough unless I stop really fast... we shall see...

but I'm not willing to dremel any part of my car to make it work.
    hehe I wasn't gonna dremel the car I was gonna dremel a part of the FM transmitter which didn't work.... anyone know how to make a cigarette plug fit more snugly? I was thinking electrical tape. hrm this is frusterating

Okay, I know this is a different direction, but:
    I now have a 4G iPod, and was researching ipod cases (The new 4G's don't come with a case or remote anymore, btw).
    I came across XtremeMac's Xtremity case, and as much as I hate the name, it's an awesome idea. The case has a slot on the back to attach to a belt clip or car holder (much more functional and less obtuse than the circular nubs you'll find on other cases) and includes both the belt clip and car holder. I need to find a place on my dash (immediately between the steering column and the radio looks pretty good) to mount the holder, and you can mount the whole ipod assembly using the same clip you hang from your belt. No muss, no fuss, just a (removable) black square mounted to your dash. from there, I'd use a Belkin (or whatever) car adapter for power. I'll post pics when I've got the kit set up. For $30, it looks pretty sweet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12