Thoughts on speaker upgrades?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thoughts on speaker upgrades? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm considering upgrading my speakers in my 02 WRX since I can barely hear it with the windows open driving ...

Thoughts on speaker upgrades?

I'm considering upgrading my speakers in my 02 WRX since I can barely hear it with the windows open driving over 60mph. It definitely doesn't have the clairity and power behind it that I'm looking for.

My question is:
    Can I just upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit? Can I put an amp(s) on the factory wrx headunit? I'm hoping to keep the stock head unit because I like the 6-disc in dash, but I'm doubting it has the power I'm looking for. I'd be happy with something with sound comparable to the Bose 50w x 4 system in my old maxima.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Thoughts on speaker upgrades?

Originally posted by thechickencow
    I'm considering upgrading my speakers in my 02 WRX since I can barely hear it with the windows open driving over 60mph. It definitely doesn't have the clairity and power behind it that I'm looking for.

My question is:
    Can I just upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit? Can I put an amp(s) on the factory wrx headunit? I'm hoping to keep the stock head unit because I like the 6-disc in dash, but I'm doubting it has the power I'm looking for. I'd be happy with something with sound comparable to the Bose 50w x 4 system in my old maxima.
    yes you can upgrade w/out changing the headunit , with an amp. here's how u do it. behind ur factory unit, you'll find a million wires. Find out the ones that go to the front speakers and the ones that go to the rear speakers and mark them. what you'll want to do now is get aline converters(around $20 buck s a piece at Bestbuy or 10 bucks on ebay). Attach the line converter to the speaker wires. Now you'll have RCA Pre-Outs that can go into your amp.(you migiht have to run one converter for hte front and one for the back, i'm not 100% sure, check to see if ur amp has inputs for front/back). Once you attach the converter u can run the RCA cable to ur amp. run some new speaker cables and pop in new speakers and ur set. I suggest u buy speakers fromb est buy and get their warranty. they'll cover ur speakers even if u blow them out.

I was think I'd just wait till Best buy has free installation and make them do it, since I might buy it there anyway. They seem to have decent prices.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    I was think I'd just wait till Best buy has free installation and make them do it, since I might buy it there anyway. They seem to have decent prices.
    caution on the best buy "free" installation. last time i went in, the guy wanted 50 something in parts.. i was like yea right you dont need this and this really... Anyways popping in speakers is really easy. just remove a few screws here and there and plug in the new ones. but no matter what, get that best buy guarntee.. god knows they are great. who else will insure you against blown speakers? ( i had them replace a 1 month old video camera on that guarntee...)

I used to work at Best Buy during college, so I'm aware of what goes on there. I'd actually prefer to install myself now that I've done a bit more research, I just need to figure out what I want to spend and when I'm going to do it.

speaker upgrade

If you can afford it you should upgrade the head unit. I was running a JL amp, CDT components and an Image Dynamics Sub. With the stock head unit and line converters it sounded less than pleasing. Once I swapped out the HU for an Alpine 7984 the increase in sound quality was amazing. The old saying goes, if you are going to do it, do it right.....

Also, the head stock unit only puts out 1 volt where as an aftermarket HU will put out 4 volts.
    tibikefor2

get the line level converters from www.davidnavone.com they have 4channel converters with adjustible voltage for max output (9volt max, most amps are 6volts). for like 50 bucks. The best buy converters are only 1.1 volt or less. fyi....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.