Stereo overheading?

This is a discussion on Stereo overheading? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got a Kenwood something-or-other mp3 player in my car, which is by far the best car mp3 player I've ...

Stereo overheating?

I've got a Kenwood something-or-other mp3 player in my car, which is by far the best car mp3 player I've had except for one issue. It overheats (I think). When I'm driving around, especially on hot days, with the volume up, it'll work fine for a while, but eventually it'll back the volume way down (buzz kill!). After a few minutes it'll go back up, but unless I turn it down it'll keep happening.

Overheating seems like the most obvious cause to me, and luckily Kenwood added a safety feature to turn the volume down so it won't fry. That's all great, but I'd rather not have it overheat and listen to my loud music. I've got it in the top din slot where the stock stereo is. I've noticed lots of people put it in the bottom, which would potentially allow the heat to rise off it better, but with plastic lying directly on top of it, I'm not so sure it would. I've considerred taking that piece out and putting a screen in the front, or maybe drilling holes in it, or even fans, but I shouldn't need to do that. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by qoncept; 06-20-2004 at 10:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, I have never heard of a head unit overheating like that. I have a Pioneer Premier 750 HU in my top DIN slot and I never have a problem and I blast the music on max every day. If the unit is new enough to have MP3 capability it is probably still covered under warranty. If it is not however did you get it at Best Buy or Circuit City? It is pretty easy to scam them into getting store credit to buy another one. I would first call Kenwood directly and see what they recommend though.

Duh, it's a Kenwood.

Kenwood doesn't exactly make the most efficient amps, so that could be why it cuts out due to heat. CD players like that have built-in amplifiers. Well, a solution would be to get an external amp that is more efficient. Your speakers will probably sound better at the same time.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I have a Kenwood 8151D Mono amp and it has great sound and doesn't cut out at all. I am planning on getting the new 04 Exelon amp too. I can't comment on the HU though.