Anyone changed the '05 hvac controls to red?

This is a discussion on Anyone changed the '05 hvac controls to red? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anybody tried changing their green hvac controls to red yet? The '05 controls are dif' from earlier versions and ...

Anyone changed the '05 hvac controls to red?

Has anybody tried changing their green hvac controls to red yet? The '05 controls are dif' from earlier versions and are not merely bulbs to change colored condoms on.

Attached is a pic.

Control to the left is with the silver front bezel off. Control to the right is with everything off.

What it appears to be the green light source are the three items labeled 4, 5 and 6 that are possibly leds mounted on the circuit board with some sort of green covering over them.

It's not really visible in the pic but item #7 is the orange light source for #2 which doesn't seem to be colored in any way. Item 7 has a very, very small dot inside that looks red which I'm assuming is some hyper bright red light that actually colors the clear item #2.

Items 4, 5 and 6 look taller than 7, like the top half is a colored screen stacked on the light itself.

Item #1 looks to be a clear light "diffuser" and is circular shaped going most of the way around the inside of the control (i.e. from 7 o clock to 4 o clock).

I have tried (gently) scraping off the top of items 4, 5, 6 to no avail. Tried prying off the top to no avail. Also nail polish remover (acetone) does no good either. I was thinking of trying a red sharpie pen but who knows what foul color green and red would make???

I need to be REAL careful here because who knows what body part Subaru will want for a new hvac circuit board!

Any experience or suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hvac controls web2.jpg  
    "Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
    Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To be honest, I couldn't even get the dials off. How'd you do it?

hmm, interesting, i will try some stuff also and try to get it off cause that would look awesome.
    let me know if you find out a way.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

I also wanted to change the HVAC controls on my '05 to red, and spent some time taking the dials apart. If you look on the actual dial itself when you take it apart, you'll see behind the little icons that there is a green tinted plastic piece. So even if you were to change the lights, it would still come out green through the plastic.

It would be nice if it were possible to do. Maybe someone will come up with a way soon.

I changed mine to red some time ago... It involved soldering in new red LEDs and painting over the stock white LEDs with red glass paint. The end result looks great! The fact that the LEDs shine through green plastic DOES NOT MATTER. I know, I know, I was surprised to learn this as well. Now I just need to change out my radio for a better one that has a red display.

The instructions I used came from here: http://www.iwsti.com/postnuke/index....wtopic&t=18509

Quote Originally Posted by abruno
    To be honest, I couldn't even get the dials off. How'd you do it?
    Just a good tug will get the dials off.

Lol. Been a long time since I posted this. Approximately 10 days after I drove my brand new Sti home from the dealership in fact. Lol.

There is a mod for this now btw. Many links on the suby boards just look but here's a good one: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83728 . I haven't done it yet myself because I haven't looked into buying a second hvac control. I plan on keeping my car for 20+ years before I sell it and want to keep all the original parts.
    "Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by WR^2X
    I changed mine to red some time ago... It involved soldering in new red LEDs and painting over the stock white LEDs with red glass paint. The end result looks great! The fact that the LEDs shine through green plastic DOES NOT MATTER. I know, I know, I was surprised to learn this as well. Now I just need to change out my radio for a better one that has a red display.

The instructions I used came from here: http://www.iwsti.com/postnuke/index....wtopic&t=18509
    Wow, that's great news! I'm going to have to take mine apart again and get them done!

looked good, but to much work for me.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.