My gauges are jibbered. read on...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My gauges are jibbered. read on... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright, i did it. i tried the green film removal on my gauges tonight and its done. the bad kind ...

Registered User SweetTurboWhine's Avatar

My gauges are jibbered. read on...

alright, i did it. i tried the green film removal on my gauges tonight and its done. the bad kind of done. the acitone made the plastic so weak that it cracked down the spedometer, leaving a huge illuminating line straight up when its lit up. i cant figure out how you guys got it done. i mean, i got some of the film off in some easy to access areas, but the film between the temp and fuel needles are almost imaccessable. how did you guys do it? i mean, i dont know if its worth finishing it up with that huge crack in it. its so depressing. well i guess i always wanted the STi gauges, right? just didnt want to drop down the cash for them. ok, so that was the back story, heres why i posted...

A) should i continue to work on the gauges? if so, how can i get to every square inch of that green stuff? and, any ideas on how to fix that crack?

B) if i decide to invest in STi gagues, where would be a place to get USDM gauges? although it would be kinda cool to have a JDM cluster, id rather just glance down and see MPH since im used to them. and, ive read that they are not a direct plug-in to the standard wrx's harnesses. what would i need to change/modify? if you know could you tell me in almost if not completely full detail, this would effect my decision emensely. i guess my b-day is coming up...

C) if i decide to go with a totally new cluster (STi or not), i read that there are ways to porgram your old milage to the new cluster. how and where can i do this and do they give you the proper documents that state that this was done legally? and how much would this run?

any advice, suggestions, comments, whatever are truely welcome because i am so pissed/stressed/depressed about this whole thing im nausous.

^ literally

but, you guys that successfully did it have my utmost and straight up kudos. anyone who succeeds where i fail is ok in my book.
    woooo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it's so hard without taking the needles off....

i just took them off which I wish I didn't do....

subaru shouldn't of had that green crap on...should have been made clear with green bulbs..
    or AC Autotecnic should made gauges for the 04!!
    FP Green STi

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Clearing the green film off seriously was a major PITA, but I'm glad I did it. The little gas pump, temp symbol, and 0 - 80 km/h were the hardest to get at. For these tough to reach spots, I used this. A scapal blade embeded into a dentists mirror tool. You could flip up the gauge face and look at the mirror while scraping the film off with the scapal blade without putting too much pressure on the needles. A flashlight held by my buddy to see where the lines and numbers were really helped too.

A. As for fixing the crack in the gauge face, I wouldn't know where to begin. You could try using a gray/black glue and LIGHTLY sanding it down with an ultra fine grade sandpaper, but you might just scratch up the gauge face in the process.

B. As for a DIY for the STi gauge cluster, look here . The link might not show if you're not registered there.

C. You can get the mileage set on a new cluster, but you've got to find the place first. I've looked around and can't seem to find anybody local. Try the Subaru dealerships in your area and see what you can find out. There are places that do this, but I don't know of any.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

I used a dremel through mine and made a hole by the fuel gauge. I put a piece of electrical tape along the back and was extra careful to make sure I didn't get dust on it and it looked almost as good as new. My pickiest friends never noticed till I actually had the gauges out in front of their faces. You could probably do that with the crack.

Edit: If it was you I just beat out for the cluster on ebay, sorry! Ravspec has them (without the trim, glass and shift light adjuster) for $500. http://www.ravspec.com/pdetails.asp?itemID=2378
    Last edited by qoncept; 06-20-2004 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks guys, it looks like that is what ill be doing. i guess that isnt a too bad price for a STi gauge cluster. but, on a side note, im not too too familiar with the STi cluster itself, how do you adjust the shiftlight? and is the adjuster something i can buy for it? im trying the best i can to resurect the gauges i have now, they still work and all but look like **** and im embarassed to have anyone see them. the trim i can use from my old gauge cluster im assuming and the same with the clear outer piece. so the only thing im concerned about is adjusting that shiftlight. im not sure what it is set at factory.

i think thats the lowest price ive seen for a STi cluster. if anyones seen lower, please share where.

qoncept, do you know of any possible places that do odometer swaps?
    woooo

From what I've seen, I think pretty much any speedometer shop should be able to adjust the odometer. I'm not sure what it costs, but just go to yellow.com and type in "speedometer" and it should show you local shops.

I also don't really know anything about the shift light adjuster. I'd call ravspec. You might be able to use the trip reset button for the shift light, but I don't know. That's just what I was thinking if I were to have bought one from them.

thanks, ill call around tomorrow. i dont have the money to just drop down like that right now so ill have to suffer with my screw up for the time being. thanks guys.
    woooo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.