Changed gauge colors.. yay and YIKES!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Changed gauge colors.. yay and YIKES! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Edit: Doh! I put this in the wrong forum. Can a mod move it for me? I finally finished changing ...

Changed gauge colors.. yay and YIKES!

Edit: Doh! I put this in the wrong forum. Can a mod move it for me?

I finally finished changing the color of my gauge faces -- I've been looking for something that worked well enough for forever until I finally figured it out today. Instead of using bulb covers (which I tried and wasn't happy with) or LEDs (which I'd also tried and wasn't at all happy with) I ended up getting red cellophane from a hobby shop. It turned out it was actually shrink wrap, so I shrunk it and then put it on the back side of the gauge faces, far enough from the lights that it shouldn't melt.

But, there's a problem.

Through all the playing with the gauges, my speedo has been sticking. Sometimes worse than others. I've taken the gauges out about 8 times now, and now it's unacceptable. The speedo isn't working at all. It just sits there at 0. If I moved it by hand and let go, it'll quickly return to 0, but when driving around it just sits there. I've moved it in and out, wiggled it around, trying to break it free of whatever is making it stick without any luck. Anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix it? If I can't do it, would a speedo shop be able to? TIA!

It looks better in person.
    Last edited by qoncept; 06-16-2004 at 07:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you get the gauges from the dealer or did you buy them from some where else? The reason i asked is becaused im not sure if i should get them from the dealer or from somewhere else...

Originally posted by wrx_GuY71
    Did you get the gauges from the dealer or did you buy them from some where else? The reason i asked is becaused im not sure if i should get them from the dealer or from somewhere else...
    Sorry, I was talking about the stock gauges. The ones in the center gauge pod are VDO (and working fine).

Registered User SweetTurboWhine's Avatar

i think i can solve

ive done this more than once trying to figure out how to make my guages red

there is a round clip on the bottom of the base on each needle, it needs to be pulled down all the way down the shaft in order for it to turn freely, if the clip is all the way up its not going to move at all and its a b!tch to get back down but it can be done, just do it carefully. once that round clip thats around the shaft is all the way down you'll find that your needle will move nice and sexfully. with your finger push the needle up about 1/4 of the way up and the needle should slowly go down the the home (0 mph) position on its own, if it doesnt check the clip again. ive done this more than once and almost sh!t myself until i fgured it out. if you cant figure it out by my write up here ill take picutes step by step on how to fix it. if you have any questions msg me at Dionysus 700BC on AIM, its the best place to find me.
    woooo

btw, i might steal your idea here sounds the most promising out of the whole bulb condom, led and whatnot of ideas out there, how many layers did you use? just one? and did you just use regular clear bulbs beneath it all?
    woooo

yeah, I think you're on to something here! so..did you get clear lights? how many layers of shrink wrap? did you have to get brighter bulbs to go through the shrink wrap? people wanna know
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

dude, about the needles, can you post a writeup on what you mean by that??
    cause I would like mine to flow a little better...they are so off lol.
    FP Green STi

SweetTurbo, the clips are all the way down. They're whats been making the needle stick up to this point, but now something else is wrong. I'm afraid I might have actually broken something this time, but I'm not sure.

Blarg, I used a dremel to remove all the green film from the back of the gauge and then put 1 layer of the shrink wrap behind it. I heated it up before cutting it and putting it in so it wouldn't shrink inside. The stuff I got was pretty opaque so 1 layer was enough. I used the stock bulbs.

VSGTS, he basically said all there is to it. There are clips at each needle, between the needle and the face. When you pull up on the faces, you can see how it gets pulled out and pushed against the needle if you look closely. All you have to do is make sure it's seated properly in the gauge face and it won't obstruct the needle anymore.

the paint might have gotten the gauge stuck. my brother has doen this like 50 billion times. on his first car, he got the gas gauge stuck. and the RPM. just buy another one and your done with that headache.

do you mean those little round plastic things that pop in and out on teh gauge face?
    FP Green STi

Originally posted by VSGTS14
    do you mean those little round plastic things that pop in and out on teh gauge face?
    Yup.

I've got the gauge cluster sitting here, I'm about to take a look at it. I'm afraid the pin might have poked in to the coil in the servo when I was trying to put it back together and it could be shot, but time shall tell.

heh, you should see my gauges.....
    i had them actually working again, but had to recalibrate them and they don't seem to be....so i took them off again...still work like they had, just not as smooth....

i'm gonna put em back how i had them till they work nice again...

and i pushed too hard on the speed and temp one and heard a pop....lol....but they still work....

stupid me, i wish i never took them off and wish i scraped the green crap off with them off....but, i'm happy if the gauges can just read still.
    FP Green STi

How did you calibrate them?

I just emailed a few repair shops, hopefully someone can give me a decent quote.

turn the car on and stick them where they should be.
    FP Green STi

the guages are really not something to mess with, tempting as hell though to change the damn green color. its a shame that the needles dont just slide off and on like knobs, and i dont know why they wouldnt, maybe to keep tension on the home position pin found at the zero of the tach and speedo, probably answered my own question there, but whatever. im not too sure that that is how you calibrate your gauges man, it sounds malicious. usually forcing something someplace it doesnt wanna go is not good. and it could be why your gagues are running so rough. ill rip my cluster out tomorrow and have a look for you guys.just wish the cluster was easier to take apart. you can only go so far to my knowledge. at any rate, how did you dremel the green out? which tool did you use? i make take that project on myself. i grow weary of staring at green.
    woooo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.