opinions on speaker depth

This is a discussion on opinions on speaker depth within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased a set of MTX 6600 components for my last car, which would fit just about any speaker, but ...

opinions on speaker depth

I purchased a set of MTX 6600 components for my last car, which would fit just about any speaker, but of course when I went to put these speakers in the WRX, they did not fit. They have a mounting depth of 2.71", and i was wondering if even the IA large spacer cutout kit would fit these speakers. If anyone has any experiance with a speaker of this depth, i would appreciate any help at all, I am a speaker noob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You definitely need a spacer for deep speakers. I made mine from 3/4" particle board and my depth is a little more than 2.5. I think you can buy pre-made spacers from circuit city or best buy. You also need to shave the inside of the plastic door panel, the part right over the speaker. If you don't, your speaker will hit the door panel when you play music.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Try this web site for more information on spacers and installation tips.

http://www.iaperformance.com/index.asp
    Thanks,
    Ali

I got the ia kit and it works fine.. my speakers are 2 3/4 in deep and they supply extra hardware for the thick kit. The passenger side gave me problems as the window actually hit the connectors and pulled out the clips out of the speakers but add in the supplied stuff and it fixed the prob.