Removing the blue?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Removing the blue? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Searched around here for panels/reupholstering...didn't find much. So anyone who has covered up the blue interior pieces of the WRX ...

Removing the blue?

Searched around here for panels/reupholstering...didn't find much. So anyone who has covered up the blue interior pieces of the WRX speak up: how much would it cost (ball park of course) to cover the door panels/front and rear seats in a black material. Not necessarily suede/leather...but just a black material to just cover the blue parts of the seats and door panels. Could it be done yourself? Or should I leave it to the professionals...and if so anyone have a clue on how much it would cost?
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It could be done at home, if you've got patience and a sewing machine. You basically take the original apart, and use it as a cutting pattern, then sew the whole thing back together. Our seats are pretty complex, with like 15 different pieces, so it may be a bigger project than you'd want to tackle. It's not hard per se, but it takes some attention to detail. I know an old guy who totally recovered his Model A interior by hand, with a treadle sewing machine (works with a pedal) and he did a really passable job. They guy was like 70 when he started it, and had never sewed in his life!

One step removed would be the ATD1 kits in the vendor's section. It's just under $600 IIRC, but people seem to like them and have good luck installing the kit at home. You can get matching panels for doing the doors and such at the same time. I've thought about doing it from time to time, but ended up buying an AccessPORT instead. go fast > look good.

Finally, I'd have to guess that having a pro do it would be close to $1000, probably more if you get some really nice material like an ultrasuede or microfibre, but it would likely be show-quality.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

My mom sews so maybe I can talk her into doing the seats I thought the doors should be easy...shouldn't it basically be cut the fabric and glue it down? I'm not sure because I never tried removing that little panel when I had my door skin apart. The seats look like they would be really tough to take care of...oh well. I know there are some people on this board with Sparco covered rear seats (forgot who at the moment) so if anyone else has a ballpark feel free to chime in.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I traded my stock seats with a buddy for his leather set up. I tried to figure out a SAFE way to swap the parts of the door that are covered in fabric. It seems pretty sketchy and like you would have to melt some plastic (that is pretty melted and crushed down to begin with) and that that section MAY come out. Swapping the interior door panels was WAY easier and far safer.

The doors and seats have to match though. I had leather seating and cloth doors for about 6 months...

Jalopy style.

Good luck
    --
    beaumont

"if it feels good, push"

I have pics of all black interiors...I just wonder how its done, obviously they aren't buying new door skins and I don't really want to tinker around with taking apart my door skin either. I was hoping someone with door panels changed would have spoken up about their personal experiences...like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seats.jpg  
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

tan
    that's a custom leather kit.

You have to remove the door panel to install the leather (makes it easier to work on). A good upholsterer can do this for you also

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.