Which Gauges do I NEED??????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which Gauges do I NEED?????? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok here are the planned engine/exhaust mods - probably am not gonna do anything too drastic to the car internally ...

Which Gauges do I NEED??????

Ok here are the planned engine/exhaust mods - probably am not gonna do anything too drastic to the car internally because it is the only vehicle I have and reliablility is one of the reasons why I bought a Rex

Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust
    Perrin Uppipe
    Silencer Hack/K&N Drop in
    Cobb Accessport Stage 1/2 (whichever goes with these mods best)

What gauges are useful or imperative - do I really need three or can I just use one or two?? If I do one I am gonna go with the pod that Subiegal has. If I do two it's either gonna be the A Pillar pod or the ashtray/console setup, and 3 would be losing my clock but I really am not a fan of that idea. - thanks - Dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    You need boost and EGT at the minimum. After that, it's up to you. Most people go with oil pressure as a third gauge.

Calvin

i like oil temp as a 3rd gauge because it gives detail is to how hot your engine really is (oil takes longer to heat up and cool off than coolant)
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

This may be the king of dumb questions, but why is an EGT gauge so important?

cnk
    Originally posted by Aerophyre
    This may be the king of dumb questions, but why is an EGT gauge so important?
    Once you're modifying the engine, you need to keep track of your exhaust temps to make sure you're not running lean. An EGT gauge can give you this information.

Calvin

Figured I would need at least boost and EGT - just wanted to make sure - thanks guys - maybe I might just do all three with oil temp - yeah I think I am gonna do that - I like having all my bases covered. - thanks - Dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

Originally posted by cnk
    Once you're modifying the engine, you need to keep track of your exhaust temps to make sure you're not running lean. An EGT gauge can give you this information.

Calvin
    how does an EGT tell you how lean/rich youre running? Wouldnt an A/F gauge be better for that?

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw.

cnk
    Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    i like oil temp as a 3rd gauge because it gives detail is to how hot your engine really is (oil takes longer to heat up and cool off than coolant)
    Only problem with oil temp is that depending on where you put the probe, you could read normal oil temps, but be losing oil pressure. Oil pressure is much more important to the life of the engine. You can also derive oil temp from oil pressure, i.e. high oil pressure when you start the car indicates low oil temps. After the oil warms up, oil pressure drops. If you keep an eye on where oil pressure is during normal driving, you can tell if there's a problem with the car. For example, my car has a cold start idle of around 8bar, warm idle around 2bar, and cruising at around 6.5bar.

Calvin

cnk
    Originally posted by Aerophyre
    how does an EGT tell you how lean/rich youre running? Wouldnt an A/F gauge be better for that?

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw.
    The only good A/F gauge would be a WBO2 which is going to run you at least $400-600 for a good unit. EGT will tell you if you're running lean because temps would be higher. If you're running rich, generally temps will be lower. You don't want anything above 850C as at 900C, things start to melt.

Calvin

Originally posted by cnk
    Only problem with oil temp is that depending on where you put the probe, you could read normal oil temps, but be losing oil pressure. Oil pressure is much more important to the life of the engine. You can also derive oil temp from oil pressure, i.e. high oil pressure when you start the car indicates low oil temps. After the oil warms up, oil pressure drops. If you keep an eye on where oil pressure is during normal driving, you can tell if there's a problem with the car. For example, my car has a cold start idle of around 8bar, warm idle around 2bar, and cruising at around 6.5bar.

Calvin
    Thats what the little light on the dash is for. If you loose pressure, the light will go on and you shut the car off. There is no idiot light for temp.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Good topic. A lot of people ask this question.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

cnk
    Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    Thats what the little light on the dash is for. If you loose pressure, the light will go on and you shut the car off. There is no idiot light for temp.
    You do know that that little light doesn't come on until you're pretty much emtpy on oil right? The idiot light is completely useless and damage can and has most likely occurred by the time the light comes on.

Calvin

Originally posted by cnk
    You do know that that little light doesn't come on until you're pretty much emtpy on oil right? The idiot light is completely useless and damage can and has most likely occurred by the time the light comes on.

Calvin
    are you sure? Because it doesnt read on LACK of oil, it reads on when the pressure drops 3 Psi lower than what ever the pressure is stock. Thats why the oil light is on when the ignition is on Engine/off.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

cnk
    Pretty sure. . .that's how it worked on my 99 Accord coupe and the same thing happened when I sprung a leak on the highway in the WRX. The pressure gauge showed lower pressure on the WRX when I had lost about 1Qt. of oil , but the idiot light never came on. Those factory idiot lights are pretty much useless. That's why people get aftermarket gauges.

As I stated above, you can derive loosely what oil temp is at based on pressure. A loss of oil pressure is much more important than the oil temp because that could mean oil isn't reaching certain parts of the engine. Depending on the location of the oil temp probe, you could still be seeing normal temps before things heat up enough to indicate a problem.

Calvin

That was on a 99 accord. Hondas and subarus are completley different. Depending on where the leak was, you might not have lost any pressure. If you only lost one quart, the strainer is still submerged in oil so you will still have pressure. Where was the leak? If idiot lights are useless, why do they put them in? If they are innacurate, why put them in? So they can replace more engines under warranty? They want you to shut the engine off BEFORE damage occurs.

With an oil temp gauge, you get to really see how hot your engine is. You know to stop beating on your car if the oil temp is getting to high- you know not to beat on it yet if the oil temp hasnt reached normal operating temp.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.