Which Gauges do I NEED?????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Which Gauges do I NEED?????? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by BoostedBoxer That was on a 99 accord. Hondas and subarus are completley different. Depending on where the ...

cnk
    Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    That was on a 99 accord. Hondas and subarus are completley different. Depending on where the leak was, you might not have lost any pressure. If you only lost one quart, the strainer is still submerged in oil so you will still have pressure. Where was the leak? If idiot lights are useless, why do they put them in? If they are innacurate, why put them in? So they can replace more engines under warranty? They want you to shut the engine off BEFORE damage occurs.

With an oil temp gauge, you get to really see how hot your engine is. You know to stop beating on your car if the oil temp is getting to high- you know not to beat on it yet if the oil temp hasnt reached normal operating temp.
    You need to re-read my post. I lost the 1Qt. of oil on the WRX not the Accord. As for idiot lights. . .they are useless in my opinion and the only useful one is the CEL. When you lose oil, you don't have the correct amount of oil in the engine to create the same amount of pressure that you need. This will show up on a gauge. It did not, however, show up on my idiot light. I'm speaking from experience. . .can you say the same?

You chose your gauge and that's your choice. I am telling you my reasons for chosing oil pressure over temp. As I've stated multiple times, oil pressure changes will be evident rather quickly while it may take a little longer for the temp change to show up on the gauge depending on where you put the temp probe.

It seems that you're getting overly defensive and quick to be argumentative here. If you believe that you made the right choice for you, then be happy with it. I, along with many others, chose oil pressure as a 3rd gauge over oil temp. I'm not saying that oil temp is useless, but I don't need it when I can look at my EGT and oil pressure gauges and derive how the engine is performing based on those 2 gauges.

Calvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    Just to be clear. . .I lost over 3.5Qt's out of a total of 3.8Qt's and the idiot light never came on in the Accord.

Calvin

My 02. take it or leave it..

Idoit lights are for idiots, sorry to be so blunt. No one, in any race class, ever relies on them...ever.

For a pressure loss to cause the light to come on you have lost 80+% of your oil.

Oil pressure guage can lead you to shut down your motor long before you have lost most of your oil, also, can help diagnose other problems.

Another issue I have is with the other idiot guage the coolant temp. In my Rex the needle never moves no matter the outside temp or if I am on the track or street. I'd like to know exactly where
    my temps are so I can make the decision ahead of time as opposed to reacting to a serious problem.

Since coolant reacts faster than oil you would potentially react sooner to a problem, so I would not suggest oil temp over coolant temp.

I would, in a center guage pod for example , suggest (assuming you have boost already);

EGT, Oil pressure, coolant temp.

Beyond this, get a pillar pod and later add whatever you like.

Drew
    02' Blk, Wagon, Cobb Stg. 2

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    That was on a 99 accord. Hondas and subarus are completley different. Depending on where the leak was, you might not have lost any pressure. If you only lost one quart, the strainer is still submerged in oil so you will still have pressure. Where was the leak? If idiot lights are useless, why do they put them in? If they are innacurate, why put them in? So they can replace more engines under warranty? They want you to shut the engine off BEFORE damage occurs.
    Sorry.

I leaked to half a quart of oil in my rex. The light never came on. cnk is right.

boost, oil pressure, and unknown..
    I don't see any point of getting a egt because it would only show a average of all sylinders.

I would try to find a display that could show egt from all four sylinders.

Wideband A/F guage if you plan to tune anything yourself.

Fuel pressure, oil temp is also nice to have..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Center pod with Omori boost, intake temp, and exhaust temp.

Don't forget to specify 'PSI' and 'Degrees in F'.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12