Is my gauge cluster royally f*****?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is my gauge cluster royally f*****? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I decided to go ahead and do the dash console mod that gfx did, and it looks great, ...

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar

Is my gauge cluster royally f*****?

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and do the dash console mod that gfx did, and it looks great, but...

The needle on my tach came off at the last minute. My buddy who was helping me pushed it in and it was flush with the gauge face. I was trying to carefully pop it back into position, but it came out for a breef second.

Is there any way I can recalibrate it, do I have to send it off to the factory, or do I just need to buy an STi cluster now? Is there any hope? Please tell me there is and that I don't have to buy a $600 piece of equipment!!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Is my gauge cluster royally f*****?

Originally posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Ok, so I decided to go ahead and do the dash console mod that gfx did, and it looks great, but...

The needle on my tach came off at the last minute. My buddy who was helping me pushed it in and it was flush with the gauge face. I was trying to carefully pop it back into position, but it came out for a breef second.

Is there any way I can recalibrate it, do I have to send it off to the factory, or do I just need to buy an STi cluster now? Is there any hope? Please tell me there is and that I don't have to buy a $600 piece of equipment!!

Have a suggestion, with the needle in place (hopefully it stays in place), put the cluster back onto the car but without the front transparent cover. Check the tachco is reving correctly during idle (abt 750 to 800 rpm). Stop the engine, the needle should rest at '0'. Carefully remove the needle, dab a bit of glue and LIGHTLY(in case need to take out again) put it back onto the guage. Start engine, check idling is correct, accelarate a little to see the needle is moving effortlessly. Applied a little more pressure to secure the glue sticking.
    I had my needle stuck (not drop off) and I applied a LITTLE pressure at the center to sort of level the needle, and it works. Seems if slightly off level, the needle dun move. GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by sc00by936; 06-05-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar

Re: Re: Is my gauge cluster royally f*****?

Originally posted by sc00by936
    Have a suggestion, with the needle in place (hopefully it stays in place), put the cluster back onto the car but without the front transparent cover. Check the tachco is reving correctly during idle (abt 750 to 800 rpm). Stop the engine, the needle should rest at '0'. Carefully remove the needle, dab a bit of glue and LIGHTLY(in case need to take out again) put it back onto the guage. Start engine, check idling is correct, accelarate a little to see the needle is moving effortlessly. Applied a little more pressure to secure the glue sticking.
    I had my needle stuck (not drop off) and I applied a LITTLE pressure at the center to sort of level the needle, and it works. Seems if slightly off level, the needle dun move. GOOD LUCK
    Where are you suggesting i dab the glue? If I glue the needle, it definately won't work after that. Right now, my idle is at like 5500 rpms and my speedo doesn't seem to be working correctly either.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Re: Re: Re: Is my gauge cluster royally f*****?

Originally posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Where are you suggesting i dab the glue? If I glue the needle, it definately won't work after that. Right now, my idle is at like 5500 rpms and my speedo doesn't seem to be working correctly either.
    I had the same problem as you. I am thinking to dab at the needle inside capping ( is a cap on right?). As for the speedo, I applied a little pressure at a time to the needle center cap to get it even. It seems once the needle and the mechansim behind the guage is not perpendicular, the needle gets stuck. How shall I say? Lob-sided? The needle must be perpendicular with its mechansim. I did all this with the cluster hook up, but without the front transparent cover. Just doing it trial and error, but exercise caution when applying pressure.
    Hope you understand my english..hehehe....Good Luck again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.