Aftermarket Alarm System - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Alarm System within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by ej20fan Eclipse does this for the customers protection, as the radio's have a safety feature on them ...

cnk
    Originally posted by ej20fan
    Eclipse does this for the customers protection, as the radio's have a safety feature on them requiring a disc, chosen by the customer, to be inserted every time it is disconnected from the battery. If you are unable to insert proper disc, the radio locks up and requires factory servicing, in order to be unlocked. If the owner of the radio reports a radio as stolen, and it turns up at Eclipse, Law enforcement is contacted, and the radio returned to original owner. Purchasing from a non-authorized vendor, does not allow for such protection.

Being authorized does not mean that our prices are automatically higher. I've matched online competitors whenever possible, for members of this forum, and (Forgive me for this one) Evolution.net, David is on the list for the MR. Selling to only select members of this forum, does not fall under breaking my dealer agreement for online sales with manufacturers, as I don't consider any of you guys/gals ordinary customers.

I personally use this forum predominantly to move overstock, hard to sell/appreciate items, and do very limited quanitities at that. To put it into perspective, I move more than $140,000 worth of merchandise, at a 53-58 point margin, every month. I've sold, using the evo forum, no more than 8-10k a month at maybe a 25-28 point margin, which in retail stereo shops would not be doable for walk-in customers, if I wanted to stay in business. My service and quality of work manship is what keeps customers coming back and spending their often hard earned $$$.

You'd be amazed at how often customers will pay more at my shop, knowingly, yet not gripe because of the service and work we offer. Case in point for this one is Godspeed. His downpipe is by far one of the most expensive one's on the market. I still bought it because of the quality and his service. Price is often not an issue, especially with walk-in customers. Being an authorized vendor is merely insurance for the customer, as I am selling 'real' product, and am able to service anything I sell, rather than having to send it out and making my customer wait 4-6 weeks.
    I understand how the Eclipse systems work. . .that wasn't my point. As for being an authorized dealer, it does affect cost/price if you are the only authorized dealer in the area. This gives you a monopolistic advantage in that market that allows you to charge maximum price for product and service. I understand paying more if the customer feels that it's worth the extra cost. I think that we're straying from the initial issue, which is that anyone can install a car alarm provided they have the resources to do so.

Calvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK enough of the pissing match!!!

You are both getting an official warning. STOP!
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

cnk
    Sorry, I get frustrated whenever I'm accused of scheming or plotting against my customers. Again, CNK I'm not intending for this to turn into a pissing match, but explain what the benefits are whenever you purchase from an manufacturer's, factory authorized dealer.

In the end, it's all about good sounds, great product with fair prices and great service. Let me know if you ever need something, or have any questions, or need a wiring print-out for another alarm you're doing.
    I never stated that you were scheming or plotting against your customers. . I merely commented on your defensive posture in your first post. I have nothing against you and I'm sure that you're a good vendor. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Calvin

cnk
    Originally posted by WRC_Obsessed
    OK enough of the pissing match!!!

You are both getting an official warning. STOP!
    Sorry. . posted that last one before I saw your last post.

Calvin

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by cnk
    I think that we're straying from the initial issue, which is that anyone can install a car alarm provided they have the resources to do so.

Calvin
    I would never disagree on that one. Merely, that some of the benefits are passed up, in some cases.

With the amount of shoddy work I see, I am unable to hold you or anyone else at fault for taking this stand. Doing it yourself, if capable, does add to the satisfaction of using the equipment and provides one with a sense of accomplishment. The only instance, I see issues is with warranty (DEI, especially Clifford).

I'm not just saying this because I sell them, as I have Crimestopper, Carbine, Ungo and many others to choose from. With none of the other one's would I ever object, as their warranties are horrible to begin with and virtually non-existent. It's often so difficult to take care of items that the customer often ends up buying a different piece, or me having to loose by accomodating them.

DEI, does take exra steps, with a true lifetime warranty on their equipment. I can exchange any item, with no cost to the customer, that is manufactured by DEI, meaning Orion, Precision Power, Clifford, Viper and some others. They are selective on who they make dealers, and the line is easily lost. Their brand is designed with the customer being the focuspoint, rather than the dealer. I make less every time I sell DEI than any alarm at even a third of what I charge for let's say Viper or Clifford.

It's not impossible to buy one of these, nor to install one with even a limited amount of ecletrical knowledge. But at the cost of losing benefits in order to cut price. That was the point I was trying to make.

I think that we've both made valid and sound points, and are right in many instances. I don't think you are wrong, but that we've come to argue about opinion rather than fact.

I never meant to offend you man, just trying to help with what I know from doing this for so long.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I think that we've both made valid and sound points, and are right in many instances. I don't think you are wrong, but that we've come to argue about opinion rather than fact.

I never meant to offend you man, just trying to help with what I know from doing this for so long.
    Originally posted by cnk
    I never stated that you were scheming or plotting against your customers. . I merely commented on your defensive posture in your first post. I have nothing against you and I'm sure that you're a good vendor. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Calvin
    Thank you!!

Now both of you go out and get a beer.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I'm in LA. I'll buy and introduce you to the guys at Easystreet if you ever come down.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

cnk
    I'll look you up if I'm ever in the area. Same offer applies if you're ever in NJ. . .although I'm sure we'd also be able to get WRC_Obsessed to join us as well with his new ride.

Calvin

I'm down.

Unfortunately my car is never going any further south than my parents place.

I'll roll up in thier Taurus and hang though.
    -Brian

cnk
    It's not bad once you've gotten south of the whole Newark area. My parents are in Marlboro and I'm down in Hopewell and there aren't any issues aside from some kids stealing my air filler caps on my rims. That's all resolved now with some spincaps though.

Calvin

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I'm not trying to fire the debate back up, but I got new info on the GPS system.

It tracks BOTH via cell phone and Direct line of sight. It roams carriers for signal, which is one of the reasons you pay the monthly on it. We've acquired a piece to demo and it triggers even inside our installation bay, with 1 ft. concrete on each side, as our bay used to be a Bank-safe. This means that it would be extremely unlikely that you ever are in a location that does not allow you to utilize either cell phone or satelite. If you were to cut the satelite antenna, the cell phone signal can still be sent, as that antennal is part of the unit itself. The unit can be hidden anywhere inside the vehicle. Also, the antenna looks like a flat sticker. Not like a regular antenna. Furthermore, the unit is self-functional, meaning that you do not need the alarm for it to send signal. If mounted properly, you should not be able to locate the antenna, unless the car was stripped. In case of powerloss, DEI recommends you purchase a 520t back-up battery for this unit, to keep it working in case someone where to steal the vehicle.

Now, it's not fool-proof, and I'm sure that there are places in the US where neither Cell nor GPS can be had. But these are very rare and someone stealing your car, will most likely cross/enter one of these two zones(Cell/GPS), meaning that at that moment, the car is tracked, reported as stolen and local autorities are contacted. You can also allow remote shut down of the vehicle, meaning that the ignition is pulsed, cutting power, until the vehicle comes to a safe stop, and then shuts down completely.

I have yet to come across a better theft-protection/theft-recovery vehicle system.

Here's the link to Clifford's site

Clifford Link
    Last edited by ej20fan; 08-28-2004 at 09:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.