What is the best Navigation unit out?

This is a discussion on What is the best Navigation unit out? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, Im interested in a Navigation unit possibly DVD but if you get navigation u get dvd. So my ...

Post What is the best Navigation unit out?

Hello everyone,
    Im interested in a Navigation unit possibly DVD but if you get navigation u get dvd. So my question is whats the best setup out there.
    I am looking into these two but i wanna know what everyone feels is best.
    Pioneer SYS-910 and Pioneer AVIC-N1
    What have you have you liked and dislikes. Feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Joey

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Eclipse has a pimp DVD-NAV double DIN unit. It has a built-in touch screen too. Looks pretty good to me..
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I'm getting ready to buy a Nav/DVD unit also.

From what I learned from a couple of vendors regarding the 2 Pioneer systems.

The first one: SYS-910 is no longer being pushed by Pioneer. Some shops may have it still in stock but the AVIC-N1 is getting the green light.

The AVIC-N1 is the unit that I am getting in a few weeks.

My friend has the Alpine system and that is very good too.
    I choose the Pioneer over the Alpine because it has the voice reconition system, and a some extra options.
    My Mods

My Sponsors are my paycheck & credit card.

After hitting 140 mph chasing a STi I said:
    "I'm Not Comfortable At this SPEED!"

www.myspace.com/awd_luv

I've narrowed the choices down to 2. The pioneer AVIC-N1 and the Eclipse AVN2454. Upside to the eclipse is that the screen does not block the air vents and you can have a dvd and cd in at the same time. For the AVIC-N1, you have to insert the nav dvd everytime you want to use the nav portion (except for a 10 square mile radius around your home). I still want to see both installed before I buy.
    2004 WR Blue STi
    Wingectomy
    18" Gram Lights 57F
    Injen CAI
    Prodrive STI springs
    APS 3" TBE
    Ecutek
    306 whp/ 318 lb/ft torque

the only bad thing about the eclipse is that you either have a dvd or the nav disc in at one time. Which to me defeats the purpose because you'd only be using it (Nav) when you're going on a trip (or somewhere you can't find closer to you) which is when you would most likely be when you wanted to watch a movie too. Otherwise it is the pimp ****. Also I think (not positive) other than the Kenwood and the new Eclipse, all others have different discs per region instead of just one.
    Bought myself a Christmas present....it's red and has a turbo!!

Originally posted by flat4boost'n
    the only bad thing about the eclipse is that you either have a dvd or the nav disc in at one time. Which to me defeats the purpose because you'd only be using it (Nav) when you're going on a trip (or somewhere you can't find closer to you) which is when you would most likely be when you wanted to watch a movie too. Otherwise it is the pimp ****. Also I think (not positive) other than the Kenwood and the new Eclipse, all others have different discs per region instead of just one.
    not sure about other states, but in CA it's illegal to watch a video in the front seat (or anywhere in the front that can distract the driver), but NAV is OK.

I currently have the Eclipse AVN2454 unit, heres some pics...

I am very happy with everything, only make sure you have a good sound system if you want to watch DVD's at speed, cause our cockpit is loud as hell.
    Switch Internet Service...
    www.internetable.net

Get your free email account...
    www.emails.net

I ended up going with the Eclipse AVN2454. I liked the fact that I wouldn't have to switch out my dvd everytime I wanted to listen to a cd. I also like the look of the Double Din unit vs the units that have screens that flip up. I must say that it is pretty damn impressive. The touch screen really makes life easy. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Anyone else here with the avn2454 buy the remote? If you did, where and for how much? Thanks
    2004 WR Blue STi
    Wingectomy
    18" Gram Lights 57F
    Injen CAI
    Prodrive STI springs
    APS 3" TBE
    Ecutek
    306 whp/ 318 lb/ft torque

I really like that Eclipse unit, even though I don't own one. Once I get my Legacy, maybe down the road I'll get an Eclipse nav unit. You like yours a lot Stuart?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I got the remote with the unit, no extra charge.

Franz, I am really enjoying the unit. I recommend making sure you have very good sound though, cause the cockpit is too loud for watching DVD's, imo.
    Switch Internet Service...
    www.internetable.net

Get your free email account...
    www.emails.net

I just got TomTom Navigator for my Tochiba PocketPC. I also got a PDA mount from Arkon.

advantges:

1) entire system cost under $500
    2) easily removable
    3) no DVD
    4) also plays MP3's, audiobooks at the same time
    5) its a PDA!!!
    6) works outside the car

disadvantages:

1) doesn't look as clean as a built-in
    2) 3.5" screen
    3) have to figure out what to do with the ~$2000 I saved
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself