Air bag replacement?

This is a discussion on Air bag replacement? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm finally finished rebuilding my WRX from the totaled state and now i have to get it inspected. My problem ...

Air bag replacement?

I'm finally finished rebuilding my WRX from the totaled state and now i have to get it inspected. My problem is both front air bags went off the the crash. I have purcashed a new drivers side one but that is it so far. Do i have to replace the control module underneath the console no matter what? Is there a way to test if it is bad? I know i will have to replace the front bumper sensors because they were the ones that set it off. Is there a way to totally get rid of the air bag system light without fixing them for now? I'm kinda running out of money on this project and don't really want the air bags in general. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Air bag replacement?

Originally posted by MNBodyMan
    I'm finally finished rebuilding my WRX from the totaled state and now i have to get it inspected. My problem is both front air bags went off the the crash. I have purcashed a new drivers side one but that is it so far. Do i have to replace the control module underneath the console no matter what? Is there a way to test if it is bad? I know i will have to replace the front bumper sensors because they were the ones that set it off. Is there a way to totally get rid of the air bag system light without fixing them for now? I'm kinda running out of money on this project and don't really want the air bags in general. Thanks for the help in advance.
    Anytime airbags go off the airbag ecu is toast. the air bag system needs to be functioning to go through the salvage inspection. When you turn on the ignition the airbag lamp will blink a few times. If they don't see that you will fail. Also check with your state laws if you can use used air bag parts. Some won't let you. Did the seat belts blow off too? If so, you will have to fix them also.

The seat belts seem to work fine, is there anything i should check on them?

I Support ClubWRX
    The seat belts seem to work fine, is there anything i should check on them?
    Nope, if they pull out of their retractors and go back in they are fine. The WRX has force-limiting seat belts. When you get in a frontal collision they basically explode inside like airbags and pull you back into the seat. When they are blown they wont pull out or retract.

Good deal. Now i just gotta find some deals on airbags. Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Anytime. Just make sure you can use used bags in your state. Also keep the receipts an vin#'s on ALL used parts you put on the vehicle, they will want to see them. If you have any other questions about this feel free to ask, I've done it many times.

It would be totally pimp if you had 2 blowup dolls as the air bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    [quagmire] alllriiightt, giggity giggity [/quagmire]

Originally posted by ebr0t
    Wow! Then you wouldn't even be mad when you got in an accident, you would be gettin some action right then and there!

This solution is easy. Your check engine light goes on for about 2 seconds when you start up, then goes off. Wire up the airbag light to the check engine wire, viola. Looks like everything is working fine. You can also use the seatbelt wire too, that usually goes away after a certain amount of time. Screw airbags.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???