Help me choose between speakers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me choose between speakers within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok I was at my local electronics store and fell in love with the Infinity 63.5I's Or has anyone heard ...

Help me choose between speakers

Ok I was at my local electronics store and fell in love with the Infinity 63.5I's

Or has anyone heard these?

What do you guys think?

~Bob
    Last edited by HBIII; 05-24-2004 at 11:58 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User ProblemChildWRX's Avatar
    I'm not a big fan of Infinity, after my brother had a pair and they blew up in a matter of a couple of months. If I were you I'd get something like Alpine, MB Quart, Boston Acoustics. They have nice speakers, but it all comes down to how much do you want to spend. I am runnig a pair of Audiobahn 6.5 speakers, but I'm looking to get either Alpines or MB Quarts, maybe some JL's....if I could find them.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the polk momo mm465 components in my car and they are awesome. I would recommend them to anyone. They are silk dome tweeters and sound great without that metallic harshness that you find with other tweeters and the midbass is great.
    I don't like the sound out of the infinities and feel that greater SQ and clarity can be had from a lot of other brands...
    Last edited by MidKnight; 05-25-2004 at 09:53 PM.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

i would 100% go with the infinities

I have heard the polks and I have heard the infinities. Both nice speakers for the money. Sorry Im not much help, but your choice man.

sounds like you already know your answer. if you love the infinitys then get them. speaker choice is personal preference anyways.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I can honestly say, try and listen to what ever speaker you want in a car. Most stereo shops will have the speakers in an enclosure that your car won't have. I personally have the Boston Pro 5.5's (powered by 2 channels of an 800.4) and I doubt I would be able to hear a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost over the RC series if I had to do it over again. I have always been a fan of Bostons and even got the Pro subs knowing there were other subs out there that would perform just as good for half the price. I like the Bostons because of the highs that the tweeters emit, but some feel they are too bright. Buy what sounds good to you, not to others, because you are the one who will be listening to them.

You left out if they are going to be powered by an amp, or the deck power. Don't be disappointed in the sound if you are going to use the deck to power them. The Bostons sounded like pooh till I got off my lazy butt and installed the amp.

infinity refrance with seprate woofer in front custum setup. rear 4in infinity. 10in infinity 1020W sub. not fully happy with sub setup yet. nice crystal high. mid suffers a little I think. bass still tweeking but ok.

Please comment on my planned system

Ok, I just wanted to get some feedback on the system I have pieced together.

Deck:

Alpine CDA9833 (~$350)
    or
    Pioneer DEH-P8600mp (~$350)

Front Speakers: Infinity Component 60.5CS (~$120) or the Polk/MoMo

Rear Speakers : Infinity 63.5I (~$100) or the Polk/MoMo

Sub: Alpine SBR 102CR (~$260 with ported box)

Amp: Alpine MRV F450 (~$350)
    65watts x 4(each speaker) + 200 watts to the sub

I am looking for some quality sound with a little thump and I think this will do the trick. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. Thanks

~Bob

edit: I should note that I listen to Rock and Techno

Registered User ProblemChildWRX's Avatar
    I have the Alpine CDA 9833 and it sounds awesome. I'm very happy with it. It's very easy to navigate through the files and folders when using an MP3. I have a picture of mine at this link.

what do you guys think of this HU???
    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you."

Yeah I like that unit. But I must just save up a few bucks and go with the Kenwood double din ddx7015, the touch screen with DVD. Very nice.

Hey, i've been looking at the FOCAL 125As for from 6 1/2" components. They are by FAR better than the infinity 60.5s...
    just my opinion.
    I'm going to buy some focals w/in the next month, i'll let u know how they sound if i get them b4 u buy speakers.
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    Hey, i've been looking at the FOCAL 125As for from 6 1/2" components. They are by FAR better than the infinity 60.5s...
    just my opinion.
    I'm going to buy some focals w/in the next month, i'll let u know how they sound if i get them b4 u buy speakers.
    They're the 165's, access series from focal. The Focal will not only pimp-slap the infinities, but sell it's family on a corner to boot. I've got a set going real cheap if you're interested, but I warn you that the Focals are very picky, and must be used with a very clean amp. The alpine's OK, but you should consider something a little cleaner. Check and compare THD and Signal to noise ratios when purchasing your amp. In regards to your choice of heaunits, they are all excellent, though I am disappointed to see that you missed the KDC-X879 and KDC-X979, which are in close range, yet much more powerful and cleaner units.Also, consider the Panasonic units. I chose a 903U for my girl's car. She's got Arc Audio XXK series amps, Focal Polykevlar components, and 3 JL w6 AE 10" in a custom box. Trust me when I tell you that I'm jealous. But then, love knows no limit when it comes to giving that special someone the best. Anyway, look around, compare specs as you'll be surprised once you start digging. I'm not knocking your choice of equipment, merely suggesting that you search around some more before making this decision. Also, never base your decision on what a soundboard, what somone's car might sound like, or especially a salesman. Feel out the place before you install/buy.

Yours will NEVER EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE sound the same, regardless of what you're told. Remember this when it comes to hearing things. These are merely designed to give you a reference point. In the end though, anything can sound good, if iinstalled and tuned properly.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

infinity speakers are great speakers if u kno how to use them. the beauty of infinity is they give off no bass, they play a wide range of highs and get into the mid range slightly. imo infinity plays the best highs, just as good as any of its compeditors and are not as expensive. because the lack of bass u need a decent sub to keep up with the highs, and then it will all balance thru. heres the important part, IF U HEAR THE INFINITIES BY THEMSELVES they sound like ****. they must be balanced. i dont like when ppl ask is this a good speaker, i think asking is this speaker with this sub or with or without subs a good setup. i like to think of home units, the bose reflecting speakers, they sound horrible w/o the sub, but once the sub is hooked up u have a complete band of the sound spectrum(that u can hear anyway) just my 2

In my civic I've got a pair of the 165V2's and they rock previously I blew the 165v's (because of distortion) and replaced them. I've got em powered by an alpine 540 something amp and they rock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.