Rattles From Headliner!!

This is a discussion on Rattles From Headliner!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The rattles that came with my WRX drive me crazy! I swear I have heard a rattle from almost every ...

Rattles From Headliner!!

The rattles that came with my WRX drive me crazy! I swear I have heard a rattle from almost every part of the interior. Well there is 3 different locations in the headliner that rattles come from. These occur the most often and are the loudest. There is one behind my head near the handle of the rear drivers side seat, one by the middle interior light, and one in the back somewhere. I am tired of hitting the headliner by the rattles while driving down the road. Does anyone have any idea how to get the headliner off without damaging it? I am gonna spray some sound deadening stuff up there to quiet it up. Any other ideas how to silence the rattles let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

be very carefull removing the headliner. i had hail damage and the "professional" body man removed the headliner for PDR and he jacked it up getting it back in.

they bought me a new one. i helped install the new one at another shop

we were very carefull and got it in without damage. i would have someone if not 2 people help, they can help hold it up so it does not fall and crease. they crease very easy. also wash your hands. we removed the passenger seat to allow more access. brought it in from the passenger front door and then just carefully raised it up. i was sitting in the drivers seat completely reclined helping to support it while he lined it up.

of course you have to remove all the sun visers, oh sh!t handles and the dome light. the A,B, and C pillar covers should be removed also. can't remember any other tips right now, good luck, and be careful.
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

Thanks for the info! My friend and I may try to attack it tomorrow as well as putting some synchromesh into the transmission to solve another pet peave of mine - putting the car into first at a dead stop and having my arm jarred back by some grindin of the gears.

Well last night I took the headliner out to find the rattles. My guess is that the rattles were coming from the almost plastic texture of the headliner tapping against the metal roof or it could have also been from some plastic pieces near the handles in the back. I coated the underside of the roof, the headliner, and some plastic pieces with some rubberized underbody spray with sound deadener as well as added some silicon to some of the loose pieces. Whatever I did it solved the problem. It wasn't too hard to take the headliner out. I also siliconed some of the plastic clips on the drivers side door while I was waiting for stuff to dry. Rattle free at last!

glad your project was a success!!!
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

Glad you got them fixed, I might have to try that sometime. I get some really annoying rattles coming from the back top part of the car. I need to have someone drive so I can sit back there and find them. One is right at the rear driver side o-**** handle, If I pop it out the noise will stop for awhile, then it comes back so I pop it back in for awhile, then it comes back and I pull it back out. Its just an annoying process. I don't think its the actual handle but I will have to play around with it some more.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

That is the same rattle and it was driving me crazy. I could hit the general area and it might stop for maybe 5 minutes.