Custom Sub Enclosure in Trunk

This is a discussion on Custom Sub Enclosure in Trunk within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My friend and I finished up an enclosure for my 10" MTX 6000 and Alpine MRV-100M Amplifier the other day. ...

Custom Sub Enclosure in Trunk

My friend and I finished up an enclosure for my 10" MTX 6000 and Alpine MRV-100M Amplifier the other day. This was the first time my friend or I had worked with fiberglass or tried anything custom. I took out the spare in my sedan because it is tiny and I have my stockers sittin in my garage in case of a flat. I molded a fiberglass enclosure into the middle of the spare tire well, cut up a 3/8" piece of plywood to fit the contours of the trunk, used a 3/4" strong piece of plywood to mount the sub onto, mounted that piece of wood to the 3/8" plywood, bonded the fiberglass tub to the plywood, mounted the amp onto the underside of the plywood on the right side of the sub, and used a 3/4" strong and glued the carpet to the plywood. That all probably sounded really confusing... All and all turned out hella nice for what I thought it would. The sub is flush with the floor. The carpet looks a lot better know that it doesn't move around the whole trunk with anything in it! Here are some pics...

If anyone is interested in something like this in the Bellingham area of Washington let me know and my friend and I could put something together for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom sub enclosure 003.jpg  
    Last edited by wake2snow5; 05-18-2004 at 09:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here is a close up pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom sub enclosure 005.jpg  

And another pic...

Let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom sub enclosure 002.jpg  

Pretty cool

put a grill over that thing so you don't put a hole in it.
    Bought myself a Christmas present....it's red and has a turbo!!

Yeah a grille is a good idea and could you take some more pictures with better light? Also, how much airflow is your amp getting?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I haven't gotten to the grill part yet. I am thinkin about a Kicker grill or something like that. I would get some better pictures but I can't find my old digital camera anywhere. I am using my camcorder to take pics now. Half of the spare well is air so hopefully that will be alright with the amp. If not I may find myself a fan to cool things up a bit.

Looks very clean. Do you think that you could have fit more subs in that spare area?

Most important- How does it sound?
    BoarderEight

You could fit two 10's. Maybe two 12's. As for sound quality it sounds pretty dope to me. I would say it is a little better sounding than the q-logic box it was in.

Which grill do you guys like better? The polk on the left or the kicker on the right? I would probably paint them some color to match everything well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speakergrill.jpg  

polk...

your trunk is pretty useless without a solid grille over that thing. plus just random small **** falling in. a mesh may be a bit better.

looks good anyways!!!
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Looks good. I like how it is flush. With a cover you could put stuff in your trunk and not have to worry about wrecking your speaker.
    2004 STi