Red HVAC and stereo lighting installed...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Red HVAC and stereo lighting installed... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought 2 packets each of the red condom covers from parts express. Part #'s 070-080 and 070-090. You need ...

Red HVAC and stereo lighting installed...

I bought 2 packets each of the red condom covers from parts express. Part #'s 070-080 and 070-090. You need to double up on every light or it will come out looking orange.
    First I removed the two bolts holding the cup holder and pulled it out slightly, this made it so much easier to just grab onto the trim surroundign the stereo and pull it off.
    Then I pulled the hvac knobs off as well as the air flow switch knob on the bottom. Grabbing the tabs on the bottom, the hvac cover comes right off. There are 2 lights there, they pull out so this makes it much easier to put the condoms on (double layer remember).
    Take out the 6 bolts holding the stereo/cd player on. Remove the grounding wire on the right side as well as the black clip on the right side. Also remove the white plug on the back of the stereo as well as the black antennae plug and the whole thing comes out. *sorry for the quality*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red5.jpg  
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The hvac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red1.jpg  
    MY MODS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red2.jpg  
    MY MODS

With the stereo, take out the top 2 brass bolts ont he right side and leave the structural plating hanging there. This allows easier access to the clips to take the display console off. Loosen the 2 top brass ones on the left side too. There's two big clips on both sides and several smaller ones ont he top and bottom. Just work these off one by one. Pull the volume and cd knobs off.
    There are a bunch of tiny screws holding the circuit board on, once you remove those, turn it around and youll see the 5 green bulbs, use tweezers to carefully pull the green condoms off those. Double up ont he red ones once again.
    There are also 2 bulbs inside the lcd screen. Turn the board over to the green side and there are 4 tabs that you twist so you can bend the metal covering back to reveal the bulbs.
    JUst put everything back together in reverse order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red3.jpg  
    MY MODS

I like how they use the priciples of light refraction to evenly distibute the light from only 5 bulbs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red4.jpg  
    MY MODS

Finished: I think it matches up with the red needle gages pretty well....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red6.jpg  
    MY MODS

Looks great...now just get those gauges, clock, and the fog/cruise switches.

I just did mine a few weeks ago. The gauges look kinda white/redish but better than the green, if anyone knows if you can scrape the green off the back that would be much better. I tried but decided not to screw up my gauges .

Also the clock, if you take a piece of red transparency and cut it to fit and put it inside the clock face then it will match the gauges.

And lastly the cruise/fog switches, it you take them apart and srape the green off the backs then you can use a bulb cover and they look great. I'll post a pic of mine when I get a chance.

I like it. It matches the P and N on your auto
    jk
    It does look good. It'll look great when/if you get the rest of it done.

Wow, that turned out really nice..

very sweet man, this is going to be one of my first mods.
    FP Green STi

I only used one red condom over and it matches just as good,
    I was thinking about doubling up, but I didnt want to sacrifice the light output if I did it.
    I will post up my pics as a comparison and they look exactly like yours

good job as well.
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

Originally posted by AWDrifter21
    I only used one red condom over and it matches just as good,
    I was thinking about doubling up, but I didnt want to sacrifice the light output if I did it.
    I will post up my pics as a comparison and they look exactly like yours

good job as well.
    I was thinking about that too but from the pictures it looks pretty bright...I'm debating if I want to do this (I want it to look factory) and what color I would go with. I just wish there was an easy way to do the needles.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I would say its almost as bright as the green lighting, its close enough that its hard to tell a difference in brightness. They are brighter in person sitting in the dark car looking at them than in the picture.

SER, I chose red because of the red needles and momo on the wheel. If you want it to look factory, to me the red dash looks like my old GTP lighting or my friend's VW. People dont even notice I changed the color until I point it out....
    MY MODS

Here are pics of my HVAC with only one red condom over the bulbs. I think maybe they could be more red with 2, but like i said before, I dont want it to be sacrifice the brightness if 2 condoms over them, either way 1 or 2 condoms are fine.

Sony DSC-P72 no flash regular setting

Sony DSC-P72 no flash regular setting

Sony DSC-P72 no flash nightshot setting, aperature is open longer while shot is being take, letting more light in.
    A lot of HID websites take pictures using nightshot/moonlight mode to have an effect of the lighting is very bright , but in fact, it is not too bright at all. That is why do not believe HID pictures, unless they are taken without nightshot/moonlight mode.
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.