Parking Lights??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Parking Lights?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This may seem like a really dumb question, but... Does anyone know what the "parking lights" are for?! I never ...

Parking Lights??

This may seem like a really dumb question, but...

Does anyone know what the "parking lights" are for?! I never even knew I had them, but I took my car to the car wash today, and I guess after rubbing down the inside of the car, the guy hit the parking lights. I drove home & went inside, and when my wife came home, she told me my lights were on. "That's impossible," said I, "because my lights turn themselves off!"

Well, I was wrong. Evidently the parking lights which, if you don't know, are activated by flipping a switch on top of the steering column, don't turn off when the key is removed.

Anyway, what's the point of these lights? I'm certain there's a perfectly good function for them, but I really can't think of why I would want a separate switch for a set of dim lights that don't turn off with the rest of the lights.
    Blue '02 Wagon, factory short-throw & boost gauge...more to come...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good question.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Well, my understanding of this is the following. Subaru though it was a good idea to have the lights go off automatically when you shut the car off. However there is a US law that mandates that you can keep certain lights on (parking lights) while the car is off. The solution therefore was to place a seperate switch for this. I believe that's the deal. Hope that helps.

Hmmm...

Now I'm trying to think of a good reason for there to be such a law. The only reason I can think of that those parking lights would be useful is if, somehow, you've broken down, you're sitting inside your car, AND you've lost your keys! But how would you be inside without your keys?? Hmm...

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Blue '02 Wagon, factory short-throw & boost gauge...more to come...

Good question...

I got this straight from an i-club FAQ.... pretty much what I said before...

Q: What is that funky switch in the middle of the steering column? Why is it there?

A: That switch is known as the "parking light switch". One of the greatest Subaru features requires that switch. When you turn the car off, the lights go off too. In order to be legal in some countries - you must be able to put the parking lights on (while parked - imagine that). The switch is there so you don't have to leave the car running.

thanks...i have been wondering what the deal was with that switch...

I asked my dealer about them when I picked up the car and he acted kinda confused and said "yeah, they're for off-roading I think"

Kinda funny

I Support ClubWRX
    Speaking of automatic light-turnoff and such, what is the best way to disconnect the light deactivation on the handbrake? As some of you know, the lights go off when you pull the handbrake as well. However, I like the use the handbrake when stopping on a hill and at night, I think this is a sketchy situation. Otherwise, I like the fact that the lights turn off when ignition is off.

tan
    The parking lights, in many European countries, allow for either side to be on, depending on how your car is parked. This makes your car visible to motorists so they won't smash into your car.

Then again, I wouldn't do this in Philly....makes the car stand out too much it would get broken into.

Like Tan said, they are there to make your parked car visible at night when you are parked on the side of the road. You'll notice truckers almost always use them.
    The parking lights are not to be used while you are driving. You can get pulled over for it in some states.

I know I think they are for winking you lights when a tracker trailer is try to pull over. NO? Let see who can come up with the strangest use for them.

Speaking of automatic light-turnoff and such, what is the best way to disconnect the light deactivation on the handbrake? As some of you know, the lights go off when you pull the handbrake as well. However, I like the use the handbrake when stopping on a hill and at night, I think this is a sketchy situation. Otherwise, I like the fact that the lights turn off when ignition is off.
    Why don't you turn the headlight knob to the ON position. Then you can e-brake and the lights don't go out...

You shouldn't be e-braking this car either, unless you parking...not good for the center diff.

Personally, I disconnected my DRL anyway, that way I can BlackOut the lights and still leave the car running...handy when doing drug deals...
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Speedrat I do that too. I know some guys who drive trucks and they splained it to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jmussetter

Why don't you turn the headlight knob to the ON position. Then you can e-brake and the lights don't go out...

You shouldn't be e-braking this car either, unless you parking...not good for the center diff.

Personally, I disconnected my DRL anyway, that way I can BlackOut the lights and still leave the car running...handy when doing drug deals...
    E-braking while stopped on a hill only....it's not going to hurt the center diff. The lights don't go off when the headlight is in ON pos? I'm quite sure mine does.....I'll have to check that wiring in that case.

liz
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNKED1 View Post
    Like Tan said, they are there to make your parked car visible at night when you are parked on the side of the road. You'll notice truckers almost always use them.
    The parking lights are not to be used while you are driving. You can get pulled over for it in some states.
    Isn't that why cars have emergency flashers??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast