Switches and Wiring Help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Switches and Wiring Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to be doing the antilock brake on/off switch mod. But I'm not sure which kind of switch I ...

Switches and Wiring Help

I'm going to be doing the antilock brake on/off switch mod. But I'm not sure which kind of switch I should use or where I could get it from.

Also, I'm thinking about putting two light bars under my front seats for some 'mood lighting.' I know I want to put a switch on these so they aren't on all the time. I'd like to wire them into a power source that is only on when the car is on and I'm not sure if I should wire a fuse in with them too. (kinda like you do with the antilock switch). Can anybody please help me with the wiring of this? I'm not too sure on how to go about it.

I'd like both switches to easily fit in the smaller 'holes' that are next to the fog/cruise buttons and above the side mirror adjustment.

Thank you!
    Last edited by verbal; 05-07-2004 at 05:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you can buy switches at like a radioshack or autozone. as for the wiring use this diagram for some help

I got my parts from Radio Shack. Just look around and see what they have and what you like. If you do the instructions from Scooby Mods.com, let me know if you have any questions. I did that write up
    www.awdpirates.net

Re: Switches and Wiring Help

Originally posted by verbal
    \ should wire a fuse in with them too. Thank you!

Put fuses on everything you wire into your car.

I will eventually get around to putting an ABS switch on my car, I was thinking about getting a factory fog light switch and putting it in the blank. Maybe try to make a new 'ABS' label to cover the light symbol. I'm sure that switch is a lot more than a cheap toggle, but it would sure look clean.

Originally posted by Rancid
    I got my parts from Radio Shack. Just look around and see what they have and what you like. If you do the instructions from Scooby Mods.com, let me know if you have any questions. I did that write up
    Do you still have the pics from that thread? They're all red X's now. I just need the circuit sketch you did so I acn make sure I have everything right. Thanks!

Originally posted by tubmyster
    you can buy switches at like a radioshack or autozone. as for the wiring use this diagram for some help
    I appreciate that diagram but I'm not about to run a seperate wire from my battery. I just want to find a power source close to the center console that I could tap into. And since I'll be tapping into an existing circuit, should I put a fuse on the circuit I make?

Alright. Here are some pictures:

Inline fuse holder from Radio Shack:

Wiring diagram:

Finished switch:

EDIT: I don't know why the image tags won't work.
    www.awdpirates.net

Re: Switches and Wiring Help

Originally posted by verbal
    Also, I'm thinking about putting two light bars under my front seats for some 'mood lighting.' I know I want to put a switch on these so they aren't on all the time. I'd like to wire them into a power source that is only on when the car is on and I'm not sure if I should wire a fuse in with them too. (kinda like you do with the antilock switch). Can anybody please help me with the wiring of this? I'm not too sure on how to go about it.
    I did the ABS switch and it came out great! This weekend I'd like to do the light bar installation. Only problem is that I don't know how to wire it. I want to install a switch so I can turn them off or on whenever I want. Could somebody please help me with a power source that is in the center console and general wiring? I'd really appreciate it.

I know a lot of you here are good with wiring and know a lot about the wiring of the WRX. Can anybody please help me with this?

I've changed my mind about wiring it so they only go on when the car is on. It'd be nice to be able to leave them on when the car is off.

Verbal- Any objection to tapping into the cigarette/accessory circuit? Its a hot circuit on accessory and you could wire the switch to get the result you want… Just a thought.
    --
    beaumont

"if it feels good, push"

Originally posted by beaumont
    Verbal- Any objection to tapping into the cigarette/accessory circuit? Its a hot circuit on accessory and you could wire the switch to get the result you want… Just a thought.
    No objection, I just don't know the proper way to wire it. Obviously one wire taps off the cigarette circuit, but where does the other go to complete the circuit? I'm going to put one light under each seat and a switch to turn them on or off. I'm not sure how the proper wiring for this should be. And if I should put a fuse somewhere in the line.

Its always a good idea to fuse.

The electrical system is chassis ground. If you tap into the red wire attached to the back of the cigarette lighter and run that wire to your light bar you could then put a connector on the negative (I am spacing the name of the connector, but they are very common, Ring terminal?) lead and then connect that to the bolt that holds the seat to the car you should have power. Not sure if it matters if you switch the 12v+ or if simply switching the negative will be okay. Either way it will work but Im not sure if there is a downside...

For what its worth, I am planning on putting lights under my front seats as well (its dark under there) that are connected to the dome light circuit and am planning on running the wire in the loom that goes to the airbag sensor in the seat. I mention this because that way you wont see the wire and if you match the length to that in the loom you shouldn't have any issues with the wire getting pulled when you adjust the seat.

Another suggestion is to place a quick connect under there so if you ever need to remove your seat you wont have to mess with the lighting at all.

Hope that helps and I'd dig seeing photos of your finished project.

Good luck!
    --
    beaumont

"if it feels good, push"

You mentioned the dome light. Are you wiring it so the lights go on when the dome light is on? ie when you open the door? Or will they be on all the time?

I definately want to wire a switch so I can turn it on and off as I please. Does the cigarette lighter have constant power or only when the car is on? I like the idea of being able to keep the lights on while it's parked with the car off. I'm undecided though.

I found the circuit (after blowing my integrated module first, soooo dumb) for the dome light and tapped into that. For now, until I get the other set of lights I have ordered, when I open a door or the trunk the driver and passenger foot wells light up with the dome light. Its cool, I like it. The back seat foot wells will light up once I get the other lights. I, for one, dont like that they are ALWAYS on if the door is open (they dont time out) nor do they turn off with the dome light switch.

But that is just me.

Im formulating a plan on how I want to remedy this. Maybe a timer relay or more likely a simple hidden switch.
    --
    beaumont

"if it feels good, push"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.