sub change

This is a discussion on sub change within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok well my freind wrecked his pick up. He had no car for a long time. so, he gave me ...

sub change

ok well my freind wrecked his pick up. He had no car for a long time. so, he gave me everything. i got 2 12's and i dunno what kind of box but the car toys guy said it was hella expensive.

well he had a 4 channel 600 watt amp too.
    it is a little too much for me. pretty damn loud.

so anyway, should i get 1 12 or 2 10's?
    im guessing the 2 10's would be better?
    tell me something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

svc
    2 10's sound clean and are plenty loud for my taste. One 12" is more boomy, but not as clear.
    I say go with 2 10"s and 2 12"s.

edit: is it a sealed box?
    sammAy!

yea with carpet and stuff and plexiglass (ported)
    i dont know much about stereo stuff

I suggest a single 12" in a sealed box. I have this setup in my wagon and its nice. It's not boomy, you can turn it up if you want it to be loud, and it hits those low frequencies really nicely.

Oh yeah, and it takes up a minimal amount of space.

space is very nice. those 2 12's took up 80% of my trunk.
    wouldnt the 1 12 handle the low notes better than the 2 10's?
    i dont listen to much rap anymore so it wouldnt really matter too much.

In general, a 12 would hit lower frequencies better than a 10. But more importantly is the box design. If you listen to a lot of music with lower frequencies, consider going with a ported box, since you get an additional low octave.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Your best bet is to go with one 12 (like someone said earlier) and put it in a sealed box. A ported box is going to sound sloppy and won't be as tight (insert joke about the guy in the 1982 Thunderbird next to you at the stoplight that sounds like his car is going to rattle apart). The most important thing is to over spend on the amp. It doesn't matter if you have five hundred bucks sunk in you sub if your amps are worthless (I was running two Infinity Perfect 12's with two 500/1 JL Audio amps and couldn't turn them up more than halfway. One of the best amps around...If you go to eBay and look around you can get one, brandnew, for close to half off). The next thing people skimp on a lot that makes a huge deal is the wiring...make sure that you get a four gauge amp kit. Otherwise you won't be able to pull all the power you need and you'll have paid for amps/subs that aren't being used effectively (somewhat along the lines of putting 80 octane in your car). Hope that helps...
    So I got that goin' for me...which is nice.

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    In general, a 12 would hit lower frequencies better than a 10. But more importantly is the box design. If you listen to a lot of music with lower frequencies, consider going with a ported box, since you get an additional low octave.

the 12 should be able to hit lower frequencies IN THE RIGHT ENCLOSURE than 2 10's. 2 10's will hit significantly harder and cleaner than 1 12 because the surface area (the crap moving the air) is greater between 2 10's than one 12. this is assuming equal quality and design drivers.

sealed enclosures are very tight, hence why they are my favorite. if you want to hit lower, though, you need to go ported, if not bandpass. if you don't design the bandpass just right, you end up with muddy sound. properly designed, a bandpass, or even a good port job will make your single sub sound as good as most multi-sub installs.
    05 STi...not stock

Yes, Bandpass is tough to get it to sound right. A ported box with a quality sub and tuned to maybe 34 Hz would sound very good in my opinion.
    - F r a n z

are those boxes where it has the removeable port thingy worth it? i saw one and you could port the 2 sides or leave them closed

Originally posted by KoreanBeefcake
    are those boxes where it has the removeable port thingy worth it? i saw one and you could port the 2 sides or leave them closed
    I think you are thinking of something different. Are you talking about a pre-fab box? Some pre-made boxes come like that, where you can choose between ported or sealed. If I went with a pre-made (not custom) box, I would go sealed since the box would not be built to the specs of the subs and what you want.
    - F r a n z

gotcha