Defi D series gauge install and problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Defi D series gauge install and problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I installed my Defi D series egt and boost gauges today, and I'm having a problem with the boost gauge ...

Defi D series gauge install and problem

I installed my Defi D series egt and boost gauges today, and I'm having a problem with the boost gauge (keep in mind that it is mechanical). When the ignition is off, the gauge shows 6 psi of boost, and it does not seem to be reading correctly when the engine is running. Anyone else experience these problems?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smallgauge.jpg  
    2004 WR Blue STi
    Wingectomy
    18" Gram Lights 57F
    Injen CAI
    Prodrive STI springs
    APS 3" TBE
    Ecutek
    306 whp/ 318 lb/ft torque

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like a calibration issue.

i don't have much experiece with mechanical boost gauges, except the stock STi one that i yanked within 3 weeks to install my defi electrical.
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

Sorry I can't help, but I'm very interested as mine will be here Monday (boost only) Do you have any more pics?
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

tan
    sounds like a defective gauge to me.

I just got my 52mm defi D white faxed gauges in.. 1 mech boost and 1 electrical oil pressure. There being put in on the 29th of May, Hope mine works.. The only thing that puzzled me but the sheet that came with it said it'll straighten out when its connected to power was the red needle isnt pointing to 0 its a line off.. Nice looking gauges
    04 WRX Premium, Blue
    STI Spoiler
    STI Hood Scoop, Air splitter
    Front Bumper Splitters
    STI Side Skirts
    18" Kazera KZ-R's

Originally posted by tan
    sounds like a defective gauge to me.
    Yep, that's what its looking like. Unfortunately for me the folks I bought it from (Sixautoworks) require me to send it back to them so that they can send it back to Japan to be looked at. Then I wait for it to come back and re-install it. This gauge was brand new and I'm kind of pissed I have to wait all this time to get one that will work.
    2004 WR Blue STi
    Wingectomy
    18" Gram Lights 57F
    Injen CAI
    Prodrive STI springs
    APS 3" TBE
    Ecutek
    306 whp/ 318 lb/ft torque

REFUND!
    04 WRX Premium, Blue
    STI Spoiler
    STI Hood Scoop, Air splitter
    Front Bumper Splitters
    STI Side Skirts
    18" Kazera KZ-R's

tan
    you can get yourself a cheap VDO Vision series gauge for about $30 in the mean time....sure It won't match the STI gauges completely....

my roommate wants to get a really expensive set of guagues for his STI...

Mine arrived today. I haven't installed it yet, need to extend the tubing from the factory gauge to use my pod at the base of the a-pillar. I did plug it in for a minute though to see how it works. Didn't drive at all, but seemed to work properly. After that and looking closer at your pic now, mine was reading a lot more vacuum at idle. Seems like it was down around the 20 mark. That seems to be proportional with the problem you're having, like the needle is off by that much. Here's a shot of it sitting still. The needle is a hair south of 0, but that's just gravity as when I hold the gauge straight up and down the needle is dead on 0. Hope you're able to get yours sorted out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails defi03.jpg  
    Last edited by randy98mtu; 05-10-2004 at 09:31 PM.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

And what it'll look like in the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails defi01.jpg  
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

I really don't understand why people buy those gauges. The increments on the gauge face are VERY strange. I don't like doing math in my head while I'm attacking some twisties...

"So hmm, 12.5 is there, so that must be like 11.25 psi!" Why didn't they just make it with normal 1 psi increments?
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I agree, but it's either $100 for the D series or $300 with controller for the Link. I'll go for the amber illumination and visual calibration and $200. I'm finding it's not that big a deal. You konw that the mark in the middle is 2.5, 7.5 and 12.5 psi. Like a watch, you don't sit there staring at it to read the numbers, more of a visual thing to see that you're getting close to 15 or just over it or however your car is setup. I'm very happy with mine.

Beats the crap out of "WTF is .07 MPa in PSI?!?"
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

Originally posted by randy98mtu
    Beats the crap out of "WTF is .07 MPa in PSI?!?"
    Haha, very true.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Re: Defi D series gauge install and problem

Originally posted by STigmata
    I installed my Defi D series egt and boost gauges today, and I'm having a problem with the boost gauge (keep in mind that it is mechanical). When the ignition is off, the gauge shows 6 psi of boost, and it does not seem to be reading correctly when the engine is running. Anyone else experience these problems?
    do you happen to have a picture of that in daylight instead of night? i would like to see your setup.
    2004 Subaru Wrx Sti

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.