Audio Install triggering CEL?

This is a discussion on Audio Install triggering CEL? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off I wanna say pardon my n00bness, I know a decent amount about cars, but subarus with their ecus, ...

Post Audio Install triggering CEL?

First off I wanna say pardon my n00bness, I know a decent amount about cars, but subarus with their ecus, and computerized everything are just a whole different ballgame. And yes, I did do a search.

Two days ago I ran the wires for my amp (Power, Ground, RCAs, remote turn-on, and speaker wire), and left them all dissconnected. When I say dissconnected I mean not connected to the HU, or the amp.

Accidently, I connected the remote turn-on wire to the HU's harness (to see if the crimp-on connectors matched), turned the car on and put it in the garage, saw my mistake and disconnected it.

The next day, I noticed my engine did not sound the same. It's hard to describe, but it sounds more high pitched mixed with some static. (Kinda like the sound your engine makes when you downshift, only imagine it a little louder and happening during acceleration.) I didn't think too much of it, because I literally had to tape the grommit back on because of the 4 and 8 gauge power wires I have running through the firewall. Basicially I thought the the hole in the fire wall/grommit area was just letting more engine noise into the cockpit. (It's just temporary, I plan to seal it with silicon gel when the install's finished.) I also noticed a clicking noise when the hood was open and the car was idling.

Well tonight I was driving home and I'm about to park the car. Right before I park, the car just shuts off. I thougt I stalled and said oh well. When I go to turn the car back on again the cel light is on steady and the cruise control light is blinking.

Could I have shorted something out when I ran the wiring? I checked the fuses and they all seem to be good. Could I have damaged something by the probing I did in the engine compartment to run the power wire. My car is 100% stock minus the HU + two rear speakers, and the floor mats, so I'm not too worried about taking it to the dealer, but ya never know what BS they'll try and pin on you. Like saying the fabric of my STi floormats caused cylinder #3 to misfire, triggering the cel light, and sticking me with the repair bill. Anyways I'll head over to pep boys or autozone tommorrow for a ODB reading, and take it from there. Any info or assistance would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go to Autozone and have them pull the code. I don't really see how they could be related.. Any other mods?

Originally posted by qoncept
    Any other mods?
    Nope I'm 100% stock. I do have a fuel cut off switch, that grounds out the fuel pump. Now that I've been thinking about it that may have something to do with it....
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

Originally posted by 4 Banger
    Nope I'm 100% stock. I do have a fuel cut off switch, that grounds out the fuel pump. Now that I've been thinking about it that may have something to do with it....
    I really doubt a switch would cause that.. It's on or off, nothing in between, so it should be working right or not working at all. Go to autozone.

Well, after ripping the power wire from the engine compartment and replacing the grommit the correct way, my engine sounded completely normal. And the clicking I heard during idle I have come to believe was merely the sound of the valves, something I never really noticed before.

Just to elaborate on few more things: I was also running 93 octane at the time, and had about a quarter tank left, so I don't think fuel is my problem. Anyways, the only real way to find out is to head over to autozone tomorrow and get the code pulled. Thanks for the help.
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car